Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film holder brands to avoid.

Lachlan 717

Film holder brands to avoid.

I've been trying to work out which brand of 4x5 film holders to purchase.

Whilst there is myriad opinion on which brand Members prefer, I cannot find anything specific on which brands are rubbish.

Can you please let me know your thoughts on those brands best avoided and why?

Thanks,

Lachlan.

Re: Film holder brands to avoid.

I haven't found a film holder of any brand that doesn't work well if it is not worn completely out. From the oldest wood holders to all metal holders to current "botique" holders. I cannot recommend a brand to avoid. I am speaking of holders in all sizes here, not just 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    I haven't found a film holder of any brand that doesn't work well if it is not worn completely out. From the oldest wood holders to all metal holders to current "botique" holders. I cannot recommend a brand to avoid. I am speaking of holders in all sizes here, not just 4x5.
    That has also been my experience.

There are only two brands of 4x5 holder available new - Fidelity and Toyo. Toyos have had the reputation of being somewhat better made, but in recent years some purchasers have reported receiving new Toyos with a strong residual solvent smell.

Odor aside, functionally both brands are fine, as are many older holders. There isn't any brand I've ever used, old or new, that I'd characterize as "rubbish".

Rubsh 4x5 film holders? In a word: Tilt-all. There is no locking ridge on the wreched things. These were manufactured in China within the past few years and turn up cheap on ebay every so often.
    Run from these as if the plague.

OTOH I've seen some very nice older off- brand film holders that work very well! Consider Fotac or Baco. Condition is everything of course, unless there s a gross design flaw a la Tilt-all.

My 4x5 faves are the older Riteway Graphic and Baco.

Happy hunting!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Rubsh 4x5 film holders? In a word: Tilt-all. There is no locking ridge on the wreched things. These were manufactured in China within the past few years and turn up cheap on ebay every so often.
    Run from these as if the plague.

OTOH I've seen some very nice older off- brand film holders that work very well! Consider Fotac or Baco. Condition is everything of course, unless there s a gross design flaw a la Tilt-all.

My 4x5 faves are the older Riteway Graphic and Baco.

Happy hunting!

Hi John, you are much better than I at finding obscure photo equipment. I have never seen a Baco film holder, but use a Baco tripod head on my 8x10. If it is an indication of other Baco products, their holders must be excellent.

I took a quick look at my holders currently loaded, and have the following: Riteway, Burke & James, Fidelity, Lisco, Graphic (Graflex) and Folmer (Graflex). Somewhere I also have an Agfa. All have served me well for many years, some for over fifty.

Is the Baco wooden?

Best,
    Merg

I'm really glad to see that some folks think like I do. I see so much trash talk about this holder and that, especially the old wood holders. I use just about every brand made in the last 100 years and if it's in good condition, one is as good as another.

Strictly plastic for me, usually Fidelity. I've heard that wood holders can result in stuff getting on the film.

Used holders are available pretty inexpensively.

A few years ago, I bought a boatload of 5x7s that included a bunch of wooden ones. Over time, I've culled those and now use only plastic, the wooden ones showing too many signs of age and a little warpage.

A couple of the wooden ones were mahogany, and way too beautiful to just retire. I converted them into picture frames.

I'm thrilled with all my plastic holders in any size, 4x5 thru 8x10, most of which were bought used.
    Last edited by Bruce Barlow; 27-Apr-2009 at 03:55. Reason: forgot a key word.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

The only filmholders that arouse strong feelings appear to be the Mido holders, which were an innovative design that worked for some people but not for others. Available only used.