Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need an 8X10 enlarger?

Need an 8X10 enlarger?

I'm not selling this, but if you email this gentleman, his name is George (all I know),
    hcl@buffnet.net, he's got an 8 X 10 Eastman enlarger that is a rare piece of work and apparently in great shape. He needs to sell it and get it out of the building it's in, and he can't ship it because it's just plain big. And, it's cheap. I will let him tell you the rest. I will attempt to attach one small photo so you can see what this is. Unbelievable, good luck.

Re: Need an 8X10 enlarger?

Where?

Thanks,

vaughn

You can find out more about it on Ebay # 160201343620. I was the $66 bidder and I accepted the second chance offer at that but despite the best will in the world I was unable to connect with George to get it despite driving from Hamilton Canada to outside of Buffalo and waiting for 3 hours. Between weather and emails lost in the ethernet and waiting for an answer to my last email, I finally accepted that God did not want me to have this.
    Not to queer the pitch; I think this is a fine opportunity if you are close to Buffalo.
    Regards
    Bill

Dang, I am a lot closer to real buffalos than to Buffalo.

Vaughn

There's a hole in that $66 story, not sure where. I saw the auction results after it closed and the bidding had reached above $160, if I remember correctly which did not meet reserve. The town/city is Hamburg NY and yes, it's almost Buffalo. Before I learned that, I was going to buy the thing during the relist - but George ended the auction early because he believed he had a private sale. I did converse with him by email, the problem with his buyer was the same problem I have and most of us may have - lake-effect snow in February. Now I'm chicken and frankly, don't shoot 8X10. I think this machine is worth five times what he wants for it, which is $250. E-mail him. Maybe you can arrange to have a shipper crate it for you. If I needed it I would already have it. I posted this here because I gathered from forums that people are building their own, from all kinds of hardware, presumably because of cost and availability. This thing even comes with easel and lens. The building has been sold and it has to go, and soon. And if someone else doesn't take it, I'm gonna have to. If I buy it you'll have to kill me to get it, so email him while you can still acquire it legally.

By the way Filo, welcome to the LF Forum. I am pretty new myself, but find this a really great community.
    Regards
    Bill

In the desert...

the e mail given seems to be incorrect?

Smile Re: Need an 8X10 enlarger?

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    By the way Filo, welcome to the LF Forum. I am pretty new myself, but find this a really great community.
    Regards
    Bill
    Thanks, Bill. I just joined to try and help the owner of that enlarger out - and to remove an impractical urge to buy a beast enlarger that elevates to 12 feet - but I think I'll stick around awhile. I've been accumulating equipment and some day, I'll retire and use it. Say, does anyone around here actually make money doing large format work? Or is everyone in it for the love of it?

That Eastman 8x10 is an autofocus enlarger, if I am not mistaken.

I had a conversation with a friend about this enlarger, and here's what he had to say:

"We had one at the Bureau but it's Kodak lens had been replaced with a more up to date Schenider lens. As I recall it was a pretty good piece of eqpt. I think you'll find that it's an auto-focus enlarger, and if you plan to use it with a better lens, you'll have to fabricate ( which I'm sure you could do) a new cam for your better lens. The auto focus feature can be overidden, however, if you don't want to go the new cam route."

George's listing description didn't mention autofocus, and he said it was purchased from the family of its owner, who used it daily until his death in 1954. However it was purchased from George Eastman in 1894 and was one of the first electrified enlargers ever. Made me wonder how you would use daylight, which is the only other way I can imagine providing a sustainable light source at that time. At that level I have my doubts that autofocus was part of it, I would think it was an added feature in later units. The enlarger my friend used would likely have been built decades later.