Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wet Mounting on an Epson 4990

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Wet Mounting on an Epson 4990

Hello all,

I'm currently researching wet mounting transparencies on my Epson 4990. A few questions:

1) Can I wet mount directly on the scanner glass? I did dry scans both in the film holder and against the scanner glass. Apart from some slight Newton's rings when directly on the glass, it did not seem to have any effect on the sharpness of the scan.

2) Any thoughts on fluids? I've been warned that the Kami fluid has toxic fumes making it hard to work with. Is the Lumina fluid avalable from Scan Science more user friendly?

3) Has anyone used the kit available from Scan Science? If so, what benefits does it have over direct mounting on the glass?

Thanks!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Re: Wet Mounting on an Epson 4990

1)yes
    2)yes
    3)not much if you make your own mask
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    2) Any thoughts on fluids? I've been warned that the Kami fluid has toxic fumes making it hard to work with. Is the Lumina fluid avalable from Scan Science more user friendly?
    Kami fluid is Naptha based. The MSDS shows that it is not toxic. It doesn't even recommend ventilation IIRC. What I've been told by other drum scanner operators is that Kami is very volitile. Enough so that it can evaporate before you finish the mounting process -- you have to be quick to use Kami. That may be what is generating reports that its hard to work with.

Personally, I use the Prazio Anti-Newton Oil for drum scanning. This too is Naptha based, but it evaporates considerably slower than does Kami fluid. It's easy to work with, but you will want to clean the film with a film cleaner when you are done (Kami says you don't have to clean Kami fluid off film, but there are reports that it leaves some residue so I always recommend cleaning film as part of the tearing down of any fluid mount). Clean the scanner with drum cleaner. I highly recommend the Prazio fluid mounting products.

I have no experience with Lumina products which appear to be relatively new to the market.

Bruce Watson

Kami fluid may be non toxic but it gradually dissolves the fluid mount adapter that comes with the 750 pro. Some users suggest that it also will gradually dissolve the edges of the glass mount in the scanner bed also with repeated use.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I use Prazio Anti Newton Ring spray most of the time and move up to heavier Prazio fluids when necessary to mask scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Kami fluid may be non toxic but it gradually dissolves the fluid mount adapter that comes with the 750 pro. Some users suggest that it also will gradually dissolve the edges of the glass mount in the scanner bed also with repeated use.
    It apparently works pretty well with acrylic drums used in drum scanners which is its design function. There's some controversy over whether or not it can craze drums that have not been annealed properly, but many people have used it for years and are very happy with it.

If the Kami is in fact reacting with a plastic, the reaction could indeed have toxic by-products. But I would think that Epson would know about the three different families of mounting fluids on the market and would have tested with them. And would have warned if any of them were doing this. I'm not saying that it's not happening -- just that it's strange if it is.

I know that one can etch glass with hydrofluoric acid (don't try this at home!). But Kami dissolving glass? I'm skeptical of that one.

Bruce Watson

This sounds like a lot of advertising hype on the part of Lumina. Just because they make a slightly less volatile fluid does not make Kami fluid suddenly corrosive, poisionous or explosive. Kami is an industry leader with years of experience. Lumina is an upstart that is badmouthing the competition to gain market share.

If you seal the edges of the glass where it meets the scanner body with Kami tape you will do two things: it will prevent any fluid from contacting the plastic body and it will prevent any fluid from migrating under the glass and getting inside the scanner.

> It doesn't even recommend ventilation IIRC.

I do not know what MSDS you are looking at, but the one I am familiar with shows naptha as toxic, as well as very explosive:

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Prec...a_ASTM-9926174

Just think gasoline and you have a pretty good fix on naptha.

Confidently Agnostic!

Yeah, naptha is camp stove fuel (and I've used it a bit for fire juggling, but switched to kerosene and lamp oil as they're less volatile and therefore burn longer).

It's pretty volatile stuff, and I don't doubt that it evaporates in seconds. Don't smoke around it (though with the small amounts you'd probably use for a wet mount it'd be gone in no time - damage to your scanner would be a bigger concern from a fire I'd suspect).

Edges of the glass mount....I mean the plastic frame that the glass sits in. Sorry.

This sounds like a lot of advertising hype on the part of Lumina.
    Epson is quite capable of mistakes like this. This problem has been noted by many people since the 750 release. Lumina just capitalized up on it. It is very old news on other forums. It is part of the reason for the development of the after market wet scan frames-using materials that will not dissolve. Scan science is just the first. Others are coming. I am beta testing one of them next week.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: