Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A welcome new thread

Re: A welcome new thread

Well...I got all kinds of stuff...

in the field..I'll use a Q-flash on a side arm.. with the diffuser cover

in my Yurt studio..I have a 2400 w/s pack and four heads sitting in the case as I am mostly using a Calumet 750 travelite behind either a ginormous softbox or a 6' Larsen Starfish on C-stand

I used to do the 3,4 light set ups..but just got really tired of lugging all that crap around..so my aesthetic sensibilities changed to meet the needs of my knees and back.. and now...even with a permanent studio..I still prefer a single light.and not even a reflector for fill. and the travelites can be dialed back to match the aperture I want to use...

If I need more light..I can just break out the full pack

A welcome new thread

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    Well...I got all kinds of stuff...

in the field..I'll use a Q-flash on a side arm.. with the diffuser cover

in my Yurt studio..I have a 2400 w/s pack and four heads sitting in the case as I am mostly using a Calumet 750 travelite behind either a ginormous softbox or a 6' Larsen Starfish on C-stand

I used to do the 3,4 light set ups..but just got really tired of lugging all that crap around..so my aesthetic sensibilities changed to meet the needs of my knees and back.. and now...even with a permanent studio..I still prefer a single light.and not even a reflector for fill. and the travelites can be dialed back to match the aperture I want to use...

If I need more light..I can just break out the full pack
    Point of info, "w/s" means "watts per second" which is different than "ws" which is "watt-seconds".

Not trying to be picky but it is a difference worth noting. Just more of an FYI.

Also, I agree, all that lugging gets tiring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I guess I am saying all this to show that I am a believer in using the least expensive and least technical methods available.

Jim
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    86 and still going.
    New hero + inspiration !
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

My studio light.... (for about 75% of my images...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lys.jpg   lys2.jpg  

You win. I'm guessing a good part of the other 25% is done with an electric torch?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    You win. I'm guessing a good part of the other 25% is done with an electric torch?
    Probably sunlight

This was for the 2005 Lexus IS250. Shot on 4x5 E100g. Thomas Strogalski was the shooter, I was hired to light it. If you look closely in the third image, you'll see the glass portion of the R1 arm attached to the car.
    Those 8ft flourescents (we bought $600 of them) on the wall and ceiling are still going strong in my garage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0013.jpg   IMG_0014.jpg   IMG_0017.jpg   Screen Shot 2015-05-03 at 10.36.39 PM.png  

(Shrek)

I have a bunch of antiques I bought for pennies. A 400ws and a 800ws commercial setup with 4 heads apiece (both Ascorlight), and a bunch of old Bowens monolights. Assorted umbrellas and smaller softboxes and a couple of snoots. I don't want to spend money on this stuff if I don't know how to use it. I almost never attempt studio setups for my shots, I use the gear mostly for selling. I just bounce one off a wall and another off the ceiling, most of the time. I have a 4' light tent and I've just bought a few '80s-style backdrops from school portrait sessions. Ugly as sin, but I shoot b&w and I just wanted some texture in an oof background. For 'on location' fill lighting, I use an old Metz 402 set with 2 heads, or a Sunpack hammerhead with a bracket and white card, or sometimes I handhold a little consumer flash from the 90s with a 12" softbox velcroed on.

I've recently tried a couple of 11x14 still lifes with studio lighting, I very quickly realized I would have to take over another room of the house if I wanted to do this properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I have a bunch of antiques I bought for pennies. A 400ws and a 800ws commercial setup with 4 heads apiece (both Ascorlight), and a bunch of old Bowens monolights. Assorted umbrellas and smaller softboxes and a couple of snoots. I don't want to spend money on this stuff if I don't know how to use it. I almost never attempt studio setups for my shots, I use the gear mostly for selling. I just bounce one off a wall and another off the ceiling, most of the time. I have a 4' light tent and I've just bought a few '80s-style backdrops from school portrait sessions. Ugly as sin, but I shoot b&w and I just wanted some texture in an oof background. For 'on location' fill lighting, I use an old Metz 402 set with 2 heads, or a Sunpack hammerhead with a bracket and white card, or sometimes I handhold a little consumer flash from the 90s with a 12" softbox velcroed on.

I've recently tried a couple of 11x14 still lifes with studio lighting, I very quickly realized I would have to take over another room of the house if I wanted to do this properly.
    Careful Jodi those Ascorlights can be dangerous! Don't get zapped!