Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phillips Explorer and Compact II 8x10

Re: Phillips Explorer and Compact II 8x10

indeed, i really am starting to come round to chamonix.

however if ive seen phillips compact II kits go on ebay for around 3000 usd, the chamonix sells fr 2,2880 new for the body, which isnt that much of a saving. unless of course i start looking for a used chamonix kit. arrgh. the choices are endless!

It would be interesting to hear a cold, hard comparison of the more subtle refinements and quality differences....

Not that I am looking for an 8x10 but after lugging a Norma around, these would be the only light ones I care about.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickhough View Post
    maybe i should just give up and go for a Wehman, chaminox, or shen hao 8x10 instead. they seem to be the equivalent. thoughts?
    I have a Wehman 8x10 and think it is great. Weighs only 8 pounds, folds into its own case, is very simple and quick to operate, very durable, easily and cheaply useable for 4x5 and 5x7 formats, relatively inexpensive, and made in the USA. Also, it works with lenses from 90mm (bellows are tight but doable) to 600mm with the standard bellows. It almost makes my 4x5 obsolete because it weighs only slightly more and is reasonable compact when folded.