Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Blzzard in NYC

Re: Blzzard in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    I think there's about 8-10" on the ground here in Southern NH, lots more of course where the drifts are. And there's a decent wind. The brunt of the storm hit further east and north of where they predicted...go figure, it's a Nor'Easter.
    I'm pretty sure LFers would agree that the only "decent wind" is a barely perceptible breeze. Anything stronger is grounds for "indecent" grumbling.

I was living in north Jersey around 1950 and recall a 3-footer, followed by ice clinging to everything.

Further you go into New England the more we like understatement about things like weather. For some people it's being tough and acclimated. For other people it's about not being b****y about mother nature.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Further you go into New England the more we like understatement about things like weather. For some people it's being tough and acclimated. For other people it's about not being b****y about mother nature.
    Yup...

http://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    The storm moved into my part of Maine about midnight. It's now 6 am, and there's no accumulation on my van because the wind is so constant and strong.

Good day to develop 120, and I've got lots. Bread dough is proofing, too. Good coffee, lots of food, radio, Netflix, good wine, a bottle of great beer, Barlow Trail Whisky (yes, that's how the Oregonians spell it), Jay Maisel's great book. So, many choices.

It's going to be a wonderful day.
    Bruce, you echo my words exactly when I lived in MA. During the great blizzard of 1978 in Framingham which was near the center of the highest snowfall (46 inches around my backyard) I spent the week in the darkroom - one of the most productive periods for such work in my life. I miss that kind of snow. Alas, I see my thermometer reads just 80F on my back deck in Austin TX.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Walked to the beach for some fresh air this afternoon. Owls Head Maine

If this was not at high tide, consider a repeat at that time - would make a great before/after series (assuming sufficient light then).

At the risk of sounding masochistic, I envy you folks in the north-east. After 20 years with a small two-stroke Toro snow blower and last winters 100 inches of snow and the dreaded two words "polar vortex" I decided it was time for a new, more powerful one (also Toro). As it stands, I will be hard pressed to get the needed two hours of operation this winter for its first oil change. Love the Maine coast. Must put a return on my bucket list.

Fresh air indeed !

Blzzard in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    I'm pretty sure LFers would agree that the only "decent wind" is a barely perceptible breeze. Anything stronger is grounds for "indecent" grumbling.

I was living in north Jersey around 1950 and recall a 3-footer, followed by ice clinging to everything.
    Yeah my definition of wind has been permanently skewed by 10 years in the desert, where the Santa Anna winds would be 20-30 mph sustained for days, sometimes 50 mph sustained, and one year hit 70.

Twice I tried to set up my astrophotography rig in 15 mph winds. Film astrophotos require 1 hour exposures. The results were horrific.

Anyways, it's a New Hampshire tradition to clear your driveway and then go for a drive when the roads haven't been cleaned off. I took the kids to Walmart and bought the stuff for hot chocolate. Now they're running around high on sugar after a full day outside playing in the snow.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    I took the kids to Walmart and bought the stuff for hot chocolate. Now they're running around high on sugar after a full day outside playing in the snow.
    Sounds like a good plan for LF gear sherpas. Don't I wish I still had that kind of energy - time changes everything.