Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Best" printer for b&w

Re: "Best" printer for b&w

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless Winddancing View Post
    "Penny wise -pound foolish" .For many of us casual users the initial printer price is best ignored in favor of two "other" factors. Which printers best allow trouble free occasional use without clogging and which printers allow larger volume "ink" containers? The actual cost in "flushing to unclog" is the true hidden cost that the manufacturers hide and we pay for. Another hidden cost would be the draining frustration of not being able to count on ever-readiness to print. Apparently one must expect to operate a maintenance-run to keep the printer at-the-ready. Humidity and the covering of the printer must be attended to keep heads from drying (clogging). Finally, buying a printer that will truly handle the optional paper thicknesses and sizes becomes actually important as the facts of use often differ from the advertising. Just my opinions based mostly on reading forums.
    Those are excellent questions but I never see them answered. Poster was looking for guidance not questions. I just threw my Epson printer away because the ink always dried out after sitting for a few weeks. I ended up buying a Canon 9500 for Christmas. The B&W glossy prints are fabulous, I just hope ink costs don't eat me alive.

>>>I'm about to buy my first printer! I currently scan my black and white negs -

Are you strictly going to print BW? It does make a difference in your choice.

I have a 2400 set up for BW with CIS and a 1800 for color. I bought the 2400 first, but the cost of inks is much worse than it would indicate. You will find when one cartridge is flashing empty, and you change that cart, the printer will go through a prime/clean cycle, and 2 more inks will flash empty.

It is better to set up strictly for BW with CIS or carts that can be filled in the carriage. The 2400 can make very nice prints but it is sensitve to paper thickness and curl. You will need to hand feed thick papers one sheet at a time in the rear slot.

Don't forget, the 3800 looks more expensive up front, but pays for the difference in ink savings with the larger carts and installed matte and photo black. I didn't think I would need the 17" size but I think I'm going with the 3800 in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by keith english View Post
    Don't forget, the 3800 looks more expensive up front, but pays for the difference in ink savings with the larger carts and installed matte and photo black. I didn't think I would need the 17" size but I think I'm going with the 3800 in Feb.
    Epson.com/USA still has refurbished 3800s available for $895 + taxes. Includes free shipping. That ain't too bad!

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Epson.com/USA still has refurbished 3800s available for $895 + taxes. Includes free shipping. That ain't too bad!

Don Bryant

Esp if it comes with a full set of ink.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Peterson View Post
    Esp if it comes with a full set of ink.
    It does. No I've not purchased one, but know someone who did. I bought mine new though and don't regret it.

Don Bryant

The 3800 is probably my first choice BUT here in the UK prices (as usual) are much steeper. Epson UK do not list any "pro" printers as clearance or refurb. The cheapest price for a new 3800 I have found has been just short of £1000 GBP - not sure what that is in dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post

Don Bryant
    I'll keep that in mind if I can swing it in Feb. I'm looking to replace my 2200, mostly for black-and-white on Ilford Gallerie silk. The 2200 still gives some bronzing, even with Quad Tone RIP.