Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to unclog Epson 3800

How to unclog Epson 3800

Hi,

I have got a stubborn clog in my 3800. I have done 4-5 power clean cycle with no success. After some internet research, I would like to try the Windex method. However, I could not move the printer head out of the "parked location" (the right hand side of the printer). If I understand correctly, I need expose the foam pad underneath the head and drop some Windex on it.

Can someone tell me how to move the printer head out of the parked location?

Thanks
    Tao

Re: How to unclog Epson 3800

First, pull the power cord from the 3800. Open the top cover, then, plug the power cord back in. After a few seconds the head will leave the parking station and move to the left. Pull the plug again before the head has time to move back to the parking station.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Taotao, there should be a button on the side of the head that you push down to release it. I do believe it is the same button that cuts the paper... Do make sure you have the unit unplugged from power source. I've used the windex method and it works well. Those power clean cycles are such a waste of valuable ink.

Can you let us know how it turns out? I have 3 magenta bars not showing up.

Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by Taotao View Post
    Hi,

I have got a stubborn clog in my 3800. I have done 4-5 power clean cycle with no success. After some internet research, I would like to try the Windex method. However, I could not move the printer head out of the "parked location" (the right hand side of the printer). If I understand correctly, I need expose the foam pad underneath the head and drop some Windex on it.

Can someone tell me how to move the printer head out of the parked location?

Thanks
    Tao
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Can you let us know how it turns out? I have 3 magenta bars not showing up.

Jon
    Clogs of the magenta with the Epson 3800 appear to be fairly common. I have the problem, and so do three close friends. Nothing I have tried, including the Windex method where you park the head on a paper towel soaked with Windex, has worked. I tried to buy a flushing cartridge for the magenta slot but as best I can determine none are available from Epson, and third party supplies are very difficult because of the way the Epson cartridges for the 3800 are encrypted.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

You could get a flushing cart and solvent from Cone and use the chip from your OM cart.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You could get a flushing cart and solvent from Cone and use the chip from your OM cart.
    When I asked about this they would only sell me one cart. However, even if I could buy a cart I would have to use a chip from an unused Epson magenta chart since the chips can not be reset. That adds to the cost since that would make the ink in that cart useless.

Perhaps there is an easier solution I am missing?

Sandy

I recommend that anyone having clogging issues email Arthur Entlich and ask him for his latest Epson cleaning manual.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks everyone. Following Sandy's method, I can get to the pad. However, I couldn't find Windex (or other ammonia based cleaner) here in UK. After coming back from vacation, I will order some ammonia directly and give it a try. My clog is also with Magenta. It is really annoying.

pixelsmith/artist

Hi, I have the Evil Magenta Clog too (Epson 3800) and even the Epson Service Center I took it to couldn't fix it. But I don't want to give up. I'm wondering if Taotao had any luck with the Windex method. I had no idea how prevalent this specific problem was until I googled it. Magenta appears to be the one that clogs on other Epsons too. I bet this is why Epson came up with their new "Vivid Magenta" for the newer printers.

I should mention though: oddly, even with the clog my 3800 apparently still makes perfect, gorgeous prints! No visible difference between pre-clog prints and clogged magenta prints. Is this anyone else's experience?