Page 137 of 403 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 4030

Thread: post alternative techniques

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I don't mix the silver nitrate and FO together, they are only mixed together with a syringe for each solution right before coating. Does it make a difference, I don't know? Keep experimenting and sharing the results, it's useful imo.
    regards
    erik
    I've been using the formulas published in the Crawford and James books. Both formulas, which are identical, call for preparing 3 separate solutions in which A is added to B and AB added to C. James says to let the resultant age a couple of days before use while Crawford is silent on aging before usage. But both say the the solution can be stored for several months as long as it is not exposed to any bright (UV) light. Stevens, on the other hand, calls for 2 solutions that contain the same the same chemicals as Crawford and James but in different amounts (e.g., 10 gm ferric ammonium citrate/100 mL water in a resulting formula volume of 200mL vs 9 gm in a 100mL resulting volume). Stevens also adds A to B immediately before use and says that the resultant AB does not keep for more than a few days.

I am at a point where the coating, exposing and processing steps are mechanical and i can expect consistent results on different days and atmospheric conditions. The next step for me is to play with the formulas to manipulate the coloration obtainable with the process.

Thomas

Found myself with a little free time this afternoon which I put to use by printing Flatiron as a Cyanotype on 140-Lb Fabriano Aristico:

Exposure was 15 minutes in the sun followed by 7 minutes in the shade and another 15 minutes in the sun. I think it could use another 5 minutes in the sun and will try this when another opportunity presents itself.

Thomas

PS: The problem with scanning is that once you put the print on the scanner bed you concentrate on the computer screen rather than the actual print. So I darkened it somewhat in PS which I thought would improve the image but alas the actual print is superior as the shadows on the left side of the building and down the street are open "just right." Further exposure in the sun would only close them up and not improve the image in any other discernable way. So a 30-minute exposure was the correct choice. The lesson learned from this is to always have either the original or another print of the same image in your hand to judge when scanning into PS.

The Cytanotype is a beautiful (and archival) process. If you haven't tried it it's worth the effort which is minimal.

Thomas,
    That's great. I'm slowly getting into Cyanotypes and I've never seen an archetectrial cyanotype before. I'm inspired.
    Pete.

Massachusetts, 2003
    Carbon Transfer Print

One of my first Carbon Transfer prints, made under the tutelage of Sandy King.
    I confess to deriving a certain pleasure in being able to leave this print out in the sun.

Craig T

Very, very nice Ken!

http://www.craigtuffin.com

Beautiful print Ken.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks Pete!

I looked at the print when I got-up this morning and it looks better! I think it darkened slightly overnight.

Thomas

Thomas,
    Mine definately darkened in the first few days after printing them. It's this sort of think that makes the process so different.
    Pete.

Double post, sorry.
    Last edited by Pete Watkins; 24-Feb-2012 at 10:26. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

One of my first Carbon Transfer prints, made under the tutelage of Sandy King.
    I confess to deriving a certain pleasure in being able to leave this print out in the sun.
    Looks great, Ken! I love the image color.