Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Cone MPS?

Anyone tried Cone MPS?

Has anyone tried the new Cone MPS inkset on glossy papers?

Re: Anyone tried Cone MPS?

There are currently no provided QTR profiles for using the inkset with the gloss optimizer on glossy papers. I did extensive testing, working with a RIP, and interacting with Cone a bit, to see if I could work up something on my own. I also provided samples to others of the work to get community feedback. I was not allowed to post that here as it was considered a solicitation. After a lot of testing I wound up using it as a double pass system.
    The bottom line is- it falls just short of being optimal as a single pass system, and Jon has openly discussed reworking the chemistry a bit.
    THis is why there are no supported QTR profiles available from them yet, it's not really fully supported as a full on working out-of-the-box Cone system, though others are tweaking and working with it.
    Gorgeous matte fine art paper results though, for now.
    Tyler

My conclusions are much the same as Tyler's. I switched an old 2200 over to it to do some trials and found that it worked best as a two-pass system. The D-Max, and hence density range, was greater if the gloss overcoat (Krystal Topkote in my case) was applied in a second pass rather than in the same pass as the image. This result is similar to the ones I obtained when using other ink systems with a gloss optimizer. I used IJC/OPM for the trials. In general I was quite happy with the inks, but as I am having a temporary break from printing during a move into a larger space I will wait before using MPS inks in a wider printer.

Best,
    Helen

Thanks Tyler and Helen. Sounds like it has great potential once the kinks are worked out and the QTR profiles are available!

How does the D-max of the MPS inks on glossy stock compare to the NK7s on matt? I am very happy with the NK7s, except for D-max.

Info on the Inkjetmall site:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....&category=3797
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 7-Jul-2008 at 14:44.

I haven't used NK7, but I was getting a D-Max of around 2.4 to 2.6 with the MPS inks after the Krystal Topkote was applied, depending on the surface - the smoother the higher, in general.

When applying the GO as a second coat I found that the best results were obtained using the Epson driver instead of using IJC/OPM. I just made a plain light magenta image (the GO was in the light magenta slot) and resized it to the image dimensions, then printed it. In IJC/OPM I just made a profile that printed 100% from the light magenta channel for all pixel values - that's for an even coat.

Best,
    Helen

Thanks Helen. What papers do you recommend for the MPS inks?

I just mixed up a 4K + GLOP glossy ink set over the weekend for my Epson 7600, mostly to play with.

I used some Epson Ultrachrome K2 Photo Black ink that I had around. I made 4 dilutions and set up QTR curves for the ink and the GLOP. (PK, LK, C, M, with the GLOP in the Y channel.)

I have the GLOP running along with the PK curve. I will do a second pass as mentioned above using the Y channel only.

You could probably mix a better - more neutral - set using the Photo Black from the Cone Color inks, I understand that black is more neutral than the Epson. So far I haven't included a toner and am happy with the results.

Not sure which ink set I will go to for the long term. I was running Paul Roark's Carbon 6, but that is a matte only ink set. I wanted to go to a gloss ink set.

Printing on Epson Premium Semi-Gloss, Epson Premium Luster, Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta, Harman Glossy FB Ai, and Innova Glossy Warmtone.

Helen, how did the Krystal Topkote perform through the printer? Any clog problems, build up on rollers, anything like that?

I found the second pass timing very critical, and different for different papers. That kind of complication can make for a lot of frustration, even to discover, much less turn into a viable workflow... Of course, I was also running some of the GO in the first run through as a spot channel. I think some chemistry magic will be what turns this around.
    Also, I saw some prints that were simply sprayed with... uh, can't recall, it's standard stuff for inkjet, from Lyson or Lumijet maybe? Anyway, looked great.
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    Helen, how did the Krystal Topkote perform through the printer? Any clog problems, build up on rollers, anything like that?

I found the second pass timing very critical, and different for different papers. That kind of complication can make for a lot of frustration, even to discover, much less turn into a viable workflow... Of course, I was also running some of the GO in the first run through as a spot channel. I think some chemistry magic will be what turns this around.
    Also, I saw some prints that were simply sprayed with... uh, can't recall, it's standard stuff for inkjet, from Lyson or Lumijet maybe? Anyway, looked great.
    Tyler
    Tyler, which papers have you found work best with the MPS inks?

I assume you mean photo surface papers? I only worked with 2 papers of interest to me. Ilford Gold Fiber Silk, and Innova F Type Ultra Smooth. Since it was weeks of work to get acceptable results from just 2 papers, and the ink setups, GO spot channel curves, Go second pass amount and timing, etc..
    That was enough for me. There may be other papers that work better, I ran out of interest. If the chemistry is going to change anyway, no conclusions can really be made for now.
    My favorite paper for matte and this ink was German Etching.
    Tyler