Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need: Beseler 4x5 contrast filters and holder

In need: Beseler 4x5 contrast filters and holder

Hello,

I'm just finally getting started with printing in my own home and until now, I've used smaller contrast filters under the enlarger lens which I'm sure is far from ideal, even though the used enlarger I bought some years ago had a special filter holder below the lens.

I think my model is a 45mcrx. It's all blue, condenser, and has an electric motor to raise and lower the head on a rather large brace.

I've discovered that there are filter holders for the little door that opens between the lenses in the condenser. I'm not sure what kind of filters go in there since it seems like an odd size. I only have smaller squarish ilford filters but I know ilford makes larger square ones, but I wouldn't trust myself to cut it to the proper size. What are my options?

I am aware of dichroic color enlargers that can control contrast without filters, but I really don't have much money and I don't know what I'd be looking for for my enlarger. I don't foresee ever printing in color but you never know.

I'm in Indiana, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew

Re: In need: Beseler 4x5 contrast filters and holder

Back in the '70s when I had a studio and darkroom in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania I used an Omega D-series 4x5 enlarger to make black & white as well as color prints. Back then Kodak sold a line of gels that went into the heads of my Omega and your Beseler enlargers. My Omega had a metal frame that held the gels so I imagine Beseler had a similar arrangement. If memory serves me, I believe the Kodak gels were either 4x4" or 5x5".

If you are making black & white prints using multi-contrast paper you want a set of gels for your enlarger head.

Yes, filtering the light before it gets to the negative is ALWAYS better than a filter under the lens which can only degrade the image.

Do a Google search for Craigslist ads where people are practically giving away their enlargers. You won't need much money, if any at all to acquire a dichroic head for your Beseler. Just have patience. I would especially watch Craigslist ads in the areas of Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis and Toledo.

Freestyle photo sells their brand as well as others. Cut a piece of paper to fit. Copy that for the size of the filters. Easy.

Hello Andrew,

I have many Ilford filters kits (6x6) already cut for Beseler. Your filter drawer probably look like this one http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1099102 as it is the same Beseler blue model. The white diffuser don't supposed to be there, just to be sure that you have the same drawer with 2 round corners on top.
    I can send you a perfect kit for 20$
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Freestyle photo sells their brand as well as others. Cut a piece of paper to fit. Copy that for the size of the filters. Easy.
    Thanks for the advice, Vinny. My biggest problem is that I don't have the holder than holds the filters so I can't accurately cut a template.

Are the filters supposed to be circular or a half-circle on one side with the rest of the square filter intact?

AtlTerry, what's the best way to go about finding these holders you talk about? I don't want to buy a whole new enlarger just to get the filter holders. If you haven't gathered, I don't totally remember what this holder looks like enough to ask questions or identify one.

Hopefully somebody will pop up who wants to share...hehe.

Do you happen to have any links to currently offered products? Filters or holders? Something that I can use as a reference.

Ginette, that would be spectacular! Just to confirm, that is just the filter set, correct? I'm still in need of the filter holder, but I'll need the filter anyways.

I'm not sure the best way to get a hold of each other on here so I'll check all my inboxes, here and email.

Hello Andrew,

So you have this exact enlarger? I don't think I have extra holder but I can look at how it fit into the enlarger (especially the round ends)
    Maybe I can make you a filter holder with 2 sheets of plexiglas (I work currently with plexi). Condensers can be hot but I don't think it will melt the plexi.
    You can PM me or email me via the forum.

I'm looking for a photo I have of my enlarger. It's currently at my father-in-law's home and I'm trying to get a photo sent here. My wife and I just moved into a new place and I haven't taken the time to lug it here yet. I suppose it would be a good choice to verify, but it looks very similar to what you linked. I'm going to look again on my desktop to make sure I see all the details. Of course, I don't have a dichroic head though, so that's the biggest difference.

Edit: After looking again, I've very sure that mine is the same. Of course, it doesn't have that hose on the side and it has the taller blue metal head since it isn't dichroic. Everything else looks correct though.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG957592.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	109300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG957198.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	109301

I figure it can't hurt to make sure. These aren't very good shots. I asked my wife to take a photo of the enlarger and I suspect it wasn't something on her priority list.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Drawer is probably exactly the same as mine. I will look in my parts if I can find extra holder.
    If I cannot find I will do one and test on the enlarger to know if it work fine.
    I have for shure many boxes (complete set) of 6x6 Ilford filters, many are already cut for the Beseler.
    I will PM you about in the next days.