Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresnel lens

Re: Fresnel lens

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    No.
    short answer LOL
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

I thank all of you for your responses here in this matter , you each have presented a good view point in this matter
    now its up to me to decide, I first will recheck the Lope and make sure Its focusing properly , If that is fine then
    I need not go further other wise I'll look at Fresnel lens : Thanks to all of you for your time on this subject matter: Lauren
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeardorffGuy View Post
    Fresnel lens..........I hate them. Really truely hate them. You really need different ones for different FL lenses. A really nice fine grind ground glass with the corners cut works just fine. In 40 years of doing this I've seen so many Fresnel lens come and go on the market.....If there was one perfect one it would still be there and this question would not be asked. (I do not blame you at asking it at all, It needs to be asked!!)
    Have you tried a Maxwell screen? These defy convention. I can focus through mine using a 10x loupe and can hardly see the Fresnel pattern. But I can also see to compose a 65mm lens without a hood in sunny conditions. It works fine for a 300mm lens (my longest), too.

The only downside to the Maxwell is cost. If they were as cheap as plain ground glass screens, everyone would have them except people who believe they need to suffer to produce good art.

Rick "a non-masochist with poor vision" Denney

Hello,
    I have a question , and i think this place is best for the solution of mine problem,
    I wana change lens of mine camera,so i wana know which lens is best?

it certainly brightens the periphery of the ground glass image especially in the case of WA lenses. However some superb technical scientists are against the GG fresnels. With a good magnifier it is possible to focus on either the GG, the front or the back of the fresnel. I haven't had that problem personally but the literature has been out these.

Lynn

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by bravo_ View Post
    Hello,
    I have a question , and i think this place is best for the solution of mine problem,
    I wana change lens of mine camera,so i wana know which lens is best?
    Maxwell

I personally like fresnel screens. I use a 305mm G-Claron f/9 lens, and on my original Deardorff GG the image was too dark for me to compose most of the time. I then purchased a fresnel screen off ebay from the seller ecbuyonline. He's located in China, but makes quality fresnel inserts for MF cameras up to LF.

Deardorff Sales and service

Thanks Rick. I had not even heard of them. I fine tuned the GG on the 3 cameras I shoot with 20+ years ago I have not looked since. If you remember 20 years ago there was a fresnel battle going on. Since most shooters tend to use one lens most of the time the Mfgrs tended to make screens for the 300mm lens on 8x10 and a 150 or so for 4x5. I found none of them great at all. Some of the Mfgrs sent me samples to test. I think I had around 15 at one point. The funny thing is no one had correct instructions to install them correctly ala Graflex.
    ()lens()-------Smooth side - Frensel side against Ground side-Smooth side of glass. this requires the gg frame to be machined down the thickness of the fresnel to maintain correct focal plane. You do not put them on the back of the glass and expect to focus through them and the ground surface...

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Have you tried a Maxwell screen? These defy convention. I can focus through mine using a 10x loupe and can hardly see the Fresnel pattern. But I can also see to compose a 65mm lens without a hood in sunny conditions. It works fine for a 300mm lens (my longest), too.

The only downside to the Maxwell is cost. If they were as cheap as plain ground glass screens, everyone would have them except people who believe they need to suffer to produce good art.

Rick "a non-masochist with poor vision" Denney
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeardorffGuy View Post
    You do not put them on the back of the glass and expect to focus through them and the ground surface...
    Actually you do with some camera backs with a fresnel, particularly when the back has had an fresnel added later, but sometimes fron new as well. My Cambo had a fresnel fitted to the back of the glass from new and when I added a fresnel to my Crown Graphic that was how it had to be fitted or the register would have been wrong.

I used my Super Graphic with the Graflok back from my Cambo for a year before finally finding a good Super Graphic back (focus frame), the Cambo had the fresnel on the back, the Super Graphic lens side of the grownd glass and in all honesty both are easy to use and focus.

Your point about the correct focal plane is important and I've been surprised when buying 2 Graflex focus panels (around Christams) to find the fresnels incorrectly fitted on frames designed to have them inside next to the ground glass. It doesn't helf that the Graflex castings have no identification to tell you whether they are machined for a fresnel or not

Ian