Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Re: The Latest View Camera Issue (March/April)

Quote Originally Posted by ASRafferty View Post
    You'll die trying... trust me.
    Amy,

That's sadly true unfortunately. I hope you are doing well.

I think that people should know what they are getting themselves into if they work on an article for the magazine. There was a time when VC paid somewhat on time, but that does not appear to be the case anymore.

I guess I should write it off as lost.

Anyone that writes an article for the magazine these days probably ought to figure that you MAY get paid. But then again MAYBE NOT.

Sad that it comes to this now.

---Michael

Another addition to Simmons resume. (Or, as he would write it, "edition.")

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    I guess I should write it off as lost.

---Michael
    Well, let's see.... my husband died a year ago this coming Tuesday. The last time he asked about the invoices he'd submitted in '07 and '08 was March 08; he was told he'd be paid "in due time." Nothing yet (any physicists out there with a reliable definition of "due time" for me?). Several of the emails I got in Ted's mailbox after his death were people "checking in" to see if he'd made any progress on getting them paid. I don't know what those folks did subsequently when I told them Ted had died trying.

So, Michael, I'm just guessing here, but I'd say there are probably enough of us to think about getting a group discount on team jackets.

I haven't subscribed for several years and don't miss it.

David, I agree with you, which is not often.

I have never understood why seemingly articulate and intelligent individuals use a public forum to air personal grievances.

Unfortunately, the moderators of this forum do very little to protect Simmons and his magazine from such attacks. I wonder why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post

I have never understood why seemingly articulate and intelligent individuals use a public forum to air personal grievances.

Unfortunately, the moderators of this forum do very little to protect Simmons and his magazine from such attacks. I wonder why that is?
    Because people are impatient. They need things NOW NOW NOW. We've become so dependent upon getting things whenever we want them, we throw absolute temper tantrums when we don't. If I had a dime for every e-mail I've received that said: "I ordered this one week ago! Where the hell is it?" I would be a rich man.

Someone a while ago apologized to me for acting like this. He said they've become so dependent upon the amazon.com way of getting products they order from the internet, they lose sight of why they ordered it in the first place.

Folks, most periodicals are mailed with either bound-and-printed matter or periodicals class postage. It takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks to arrive in your mailbox from the day it was mailed. When I worked with the fine people at Publisher's Press, the printer Steve uses, they did everything they could to make sure the subscription mailing went out as soon as possible... but a magazine takes two weeks to arrive to a distributor via freight truck and receive distribution on newsstands. So unless the magazine is printed at least one issue in advance, you're almost ALWAYS going to get it after the newsstands get it. Publications sacrifice speed for price... mailing a magazine via Priority Mail would cost over $5/copy where with Periodicals it costs around 80 cents a copy. It takes forever, but it saves magazines millions of dollars a year.

Because until quite recently Steve Simmons regularly used this same public forum to promote his magazine, including soliciting contributions through the PM system.

I agree the whining can get out of hand where Simmons is concerned, especially when discussing his motives, but I don't think that has happened here. The realities of dealing with View Camera as a subscriber or contributor are useful information. Suggesting that information should not be aired because Simmons loves what he does is ridiculous.

Very true, Merg.
    Crapping into one's own nest is very shortsighted politics in the endangered LF world. Like the magazine or not (and I myself stopped subscribing just some year after the VC started, not liking the mismatched captions and the delays, among others!), Simmons is still a very positive force in the LF battle.

When Steve Simmons contacted me to write an article for VC, there was no mention of remuneration. I submitted the article without expecting payment for a couple of reasons: First, to be published and have my work seen by a wider audience. Second, to benefit the large-format community.

Unfortunately, the experience was not very pleasant (and I mean, unfortunately, since I would genuinely have liked,and still would, to build a closer relationship to the LF community and Simmons publication) communication during the writing and submitting of the article was difficult and resulted in some poor editing and errors creeping in.

In the end, however, I was still happy to have had an article in the magazine and generally happy with the result. However, for some strange reason, shortly after that I stopped receiving my subscription copies of View Camera. I had even renewed for two years just to support the publication that I had contributed to. I have sent two or three e-mails over the past couple of years to find out what happened and have received no response whatsoever. Curious...

Steve, if you are out there reading this thread, I think I speak for many of us when I say that we would like to, and are trying, to support you, your magazine, and the large-format community, but have a rather hard time overcoming the hurdles. Maybe you could make things a bit easier for all of us: be forthcoming about finances and payment and (important for me) deal promptly and efficiently with subscription problems. After all, this latter is your source of income, which I would gladly augment if only I could get the problems with delivery worked out.

I think VC is an asset to the LF community and a great source of information and exchange. Personally, I would write another article for no fee as well as continue subscribing, if only it were feasible.

Maybe this is an opportunity to improve the situation. I hope...

Best,

Doremus Scudder

The topics discussed in this thread fall within the guidelines, which can be accessed through the "Guidelines" link at the top of the page.