Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why do my Beseler enlargers have a spacer between heat absorbing glass and condenser?

Re: Why do my Beseler enlargers have a spacer between heat absorbing glass and conden

My two genuine Beseler CB7 heat absorbing glasses are 1/8" thick (AKA Double-Strength). To me, the color looks just slightly greener than plain window/framing glass (3/32"). One is factory installed, the other not. Neither has a mark or dot, of any color, alone the edges. Both are slightly smaller in diameter than the condenser tube -- about 1/16" -- which would allow for expansion -- although it is held in place by four metal tabs that would make expansion difficult. (I'll check into that aspect.)

When I get around to it, I'll add it to the top of my condenser assembly while maintaining some space between the two heat absorbing glasses -- there is plenty of room in the condenser structure.
    Last edited by xkaes; 12-Nov-2017 at 10:06.

Re: Why do my Beseler enlargers have a spacer between heat absorbing glass and conden

https://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/...sorbing-glass/

Custom sizing available.

Not free.

Mounting position could be closer to source.

Please explain your project scope and parameters.

20 minute wide open enlarging may be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    [url]20 minute wide open enlarging may be interesting.
    Thanks for the link.

No, I do not use my point light source with a lens wide open for 20 minutes exposures. I only use long exposures with my diffusion light sources with filters with the lens stopped down for mural-sized prints. I can easily have one minute exposures for 11x14" prints. I don't see why it is surprising to some that a VERY long exposure would be needed for an eight FOOT print -- that might be made from a cropped section of the negative -- really a portion of a 24 foot print! (I'm sure somebody will respond, "You can't do that!", or some other nonsense.)