Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Film vs. Digital?

Film vs. Digital?

Happy New Year one and all!

I just wrote and article on the subject film vs. digital and included large format vs small.

I think you will all appreciate it, and I would really love your feedback on this article - Photography and the Art of Discipline!

Halle Berry Copyright ©Jerry Avenaim Photography, Inc. 2009

Jerry Avenaim
    Web Site
    Blog Site

Scott Brewer

Re: Film vs. Digital?

Before I read the article, is Halle Berry really that "hot" in person?

Scott Brewer

Nice article. I definitely agree about cameras as tools. At just about every exhibit someone asks what I think of digital. They expect me to bash it but I always tell people it is just another tool just like film or enlargers. What ever helps you produce your vision.
    "Spray and pray". I like that! When I was a lab assistant in school (mid 90's) I always tried to make that point to the beginning classes. Slow down and make every frame count. Don't just burn film (or sensors) hoping for a good shot. A "photographer" tries to make each frame have a purpose.
    Was stuff left out of your article? Of course, but overall a good, simple read (emphasis on simple because it is a good thing!).

New Orleans, LA

Jerry,

Nicely put. As photographers we sometimes get so caught up in gear that we do forget that photography is an art (or Art if you prefer) and that having a vision or something to say is the most important aspect of our discipline. I always compare it to writing; my grandmother used a typewriter but so did Faulkner.

Personally, I think all photo students should learn to operate a view camera before learning anything else. Everything you need to know about composition, lighting, perspective, discipline, process, angle of view, lenses as well as the history of the medium is right there in the view camera. The problem is not many in our fast-paced culture want anything to do with patience and discipline! We all want it now and we want it cheap.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thom

Jerry, thanks for posting a link to your blog and welcome to the forum. I've got you on my list of blogs to catch up on...long list. Enjoyed your article.

"spray and pray" should be added to the Cliches of the decade post. Although sometimes I wish I could do a little more spraying and a little less praying with my 8x10, and damn it would be nice to have an lcd review screen on that thing.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Avenaim View Post
    Happy New Year one and all!

I just wrote and article on the subject film vs. digital and included large format vs small.
    I think you have written a very nice article, but I don't think any new ground has been uncovered in the digital vs. film subject. Frankly, I wish we could see an end to the comparisons.

I use both in different ways and I am saddened at times with the loss of traditional materials of film and paper, but then again demand drives supply and that's the reality of the changes we've seen in the world of photography.

Don Bryant

Dear Jerry,

Although I might respect your efforts to introduce yourself in this manner, within a large format forum, using a tired frictional issue among film users, you will not gather any true support from me, since I am overwhelmed by this continuous digital diatribe, regarding digital versus film crap. I do not mean to be rude or even subtle, but you should reread the title of this forum, and you should have taken the time to review the forum's archives, where we have been there, done that, and peed there.

I do liken your trolling exercise to another individual that seems to think that they can propagate increased traffic through your website with a subject title such as yours, by drawing upon the talented souls within this group.

Good luck, and by the way, your image looks like it was done with a digital camera…

jim k

It's undoubtedly hard for you to believe, but you aren't the first person to start a film vs. digital thread here. Or digital vs. film. Or anything in between. Learn to use the search feature and you might figure out just how redundant this thread really is.

Still, welcome to the site. We look forward to your contributions.

Bruce Watson

Octogenarian

I have a feeling that Jerry posted this ad on every photography website out there.

His attempt to do some PR when business has slowed down to a standstill.

If a guy doesn't blow his own horn, who else is going to do it for him?

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear Jerry,

your image looks like it was done with a digital camera…

jim k

Probably Canon G10 judging by the DR