Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Schneideritis

RE: Schneideritis

OK... so how much does the seeming ever present to some degree Schneideritis to (older?) Schneider lenses effect their performance? Rodenstockitis, Zeissitis, and Nikkoritis seem to never be mentioned.

I've used (and still use) several vintage lenses with plenty of xxxxitis, subjectively without effecting the images they throw. Most of my exposures made a f/45 and f/64.... is the effect of Schneideritis less felt at these small apertures?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Schneideritis

My 210 Symmar-S has a considerable amount of Schneideritis (more than the 300 that SepiaReverb is selling) and I've never been able to see any affect on the images. Most of my exposure is at bigger apertures.

No effect on IQ, just on resale value.
    And there's Fuji-itis as well.

I'm tempted to say that Jos. Schneider & Co. designed it in, purely and simply to afflict the anal-retentive perfectionists among us (you know who you are). But I don't know that for sure, so I won't.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Yes... it's a feature, not a flaw... I read that on the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    My 210 Symmar-S has a considerable amount of Schneideritis (more than the 300 that SepiaReverb is selling) and I've never been able to see any affect on the images. Most of my exposure is at bigger apertures.
    My 180mm Symmar-S is moderately afflicted. Yet, I'm a skeptic that this doesn't have an affect. How would one know, unless a side-by-side comparison were done with pairs of lenses in the same focal length. (One afflicted, and one not.) I mean really, all that reflected light dancing around inside the lens?

If it were to have an affect, I suspect that it would be in overall flare. In small quantities, I think this would be hard to detect without having a control image (from a non-afflicted lens) against which to compare.

One of these days, I'll swap out my 180mm for something more recent . . . and not afflicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I'm tempted to say that Jos. Schneider & Co. designed it in, purely and simply to afflict the anal-retentive perfectionists among us (you know who you are). But I don't know that for sure, so I won't.
    Jos. Schneider or Schneider Kreuznach? Two different companies. The second succeeded the first after it went bankrupt.

Sorry Bob, I was being facetious... not always a good idea on the internet. Of course I don't believe that any iteration of the Schneider lens companies 'designed in' that little flaw, if indeed it is a flaw.
    I've worked with quite a few Schneider lenses in my career, in some rather demanding applications, and have never been dis-satisfied with any of them. Nor have I ever seen any effects,positive or negative, that I could trace to whatever 'Schneideritis' is.
    Perhaps someone will find two otherwise identical lenses and run a test. Good luck with that- and do post your results! While someone runs that test, I'll be out making photographs with my 1957 121/8 Super-Angulon, Schneideritis and all.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I'm a skeptic that this doesn't have an affect. How would one know, unless a side-by-side comparison were done with pairs of lenses in the same focal length. (One afflicted, and one not.) I mean really, all that reflected light dancing around inside the lens?
    OMG! I just checked, and I'm afflicted with Fujiitis!! Here is my Fujinon A 180mm f9.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fujiitis.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	170150

I'm starting to feel itchy already! I'm heading out to the pharmacy to get some Valium and Sleeping pills right now!

I may never sleep or shoot again!

It's better to reduce internal reflections in a lens than not, but then how many people always use a bellows shade at maximum extension to reduce the image circle to the minimum needed for the image in question after applying movements and focusing? I would say that if one doesn't use a bellows shade, one isn't in a position to complain about the anti-reflective paint flaking off the bezels of lens elements.