Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computerized Matte Board Cutters

Computerized Matte Board Cutters

Wonder if someone might comment on the current state of this type of equipment. Are there any decent units that might be in the price range of of small studio for personal work?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Computerized Matte Board Cutters

I looked into a computerized mat cutter a year or so ago and found only large units meant for frame shops. You could not buy them; instead you leased them with a service contract. Maybe something has changed since then, but I just have become more adept with my manual Logan cutter. If I need something complex, I have Archival Methods cut it for me, like one which was a 25 2"x3" window mat in a 5 by 5 matrix.
    Last edited by faberryman; 31-Aug-2017 at 15:17.

Exactly what faberryman wrote. However, like the proliferation of 3D home Laser cutters progress I expect better matte cutters for home use than ever before. Hang in there.

Yesterday I had mats cut for an exhibition at a frame shop. The mats were cut in an Italian computerized mat cutter. In about 3 hours 130 mats were cut in 8 different sizes. This cutting machine had the prize tag of a nice Alfa Romeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    Yesterday I had mats cut for an exhibition at a frame shop. The mats were cut in an Italian computerized mat cutter. In about 3 hours 130 mats were cut in 8 different sizes. This cutting machine had the prize tag of a nice Alfa Romeo.
    I am sure it was quite expensive. A good friend of mine owned a camera store and darkroom service and he paid a lot for the license for the matte cutter. However, do you not think that with the acceleration of CNC types of machines they will become very inexpensive?

Just asking, Romero.

Best,
    Jac

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    However, do you not think that with the acceleration of CNC types of machines they will become very inexpensive?
    I'm not Romero, but I've got some experience with CNC machining and low volume manufacturing. Mat cutting is not conventional CNC (that is "chip making" via milling machine, lathe, jig bore, punch press, etc); a CNC controller won't run a mat cutter without a lot of work. Neither lasers nor water jet cutters will work in this application (unless you don't mind burned or soggy cuts). And these razor machines are low volume, on the order of 1000s a year. This ain't no iPhone where they make 10s of millions a year. Low volume drives the price up, and will keep it up. But it leaves a nice niche for Logan to exploit with its manual cutters.

Me, I just run my mat cutting needs out to my local Jerry's Artarama. They've got a nice automated mat cutter just 10 minutes away, and they'll usually cut while I wait, for a nominal fee (cutting a 40 x 50 cm hole in a 50 x 61 cm piece of 8-ply was something like $5.00 USD last time I needed it done).

Hard to justify owning a $30k USD automated cutter. Just sayin'.

Bruce Watson

http://www.pictureframingequipment.c...ied%20Page.htm

http://www.skylinepictures.com/Mat_B...t_page_187.htm

Just two of a number who handle used computerized mat cutters. Depending on what you consider 'reasonably priced' these and similar may do the trick for you.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Sandy

I am in the quote mode of a Villanni system by Crescent... 25K so its not cheap

There is a group in Mass that make semi automatic machines 4k which is good, I can dig up there name if you like , I may go this route.

Need a compressor , to operate and mounts on your wall.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post

Me, I just run my mat cutting needs out to my local Jerry's Artarama. They've got a nice automated mat cutter just 10 minutes away, and they'll usually cut while I wait, for a nominal fee (cutting a 40 x 50 cm hole in a 50 x 61 cm piece of 8-ply was something like $5.00 USD last time I needed it done).

Hard to justify owning a $30k USD automated cutter. Just sayin'.
    Five dollars is pretty darn reasonable - actually unbelievable if you ask me. I finally got my Logan cutting technique down to where I can cut precisely where I want (Believe it or not but the small plastic T-square ruler wasn't lined up with the start mark. When I switched to the metal T-square, the [problems went away.) but bringing the boards with their diagram to havie them cut on a computerized cutter for a few dollars is the way to go! I'm going to check into this.

Thomas

I am lucky to have a friend who runs a frame shop with one of the electronic mat cutters. Looking at my last invoice for 43 mats cut I was charged $40 (8x10 up to 20x24 sizes). Mat board was charged at cost + 10%. I keep telling the owner to charge me more, I do want them to stay in business!

A great question though. Perhaps it is too niche for some sort of home-brew system. But a computerized rail and carriage system with custom software and manual resetting for each edge seems plausible for a competent software engineer to build. I can imagine how it would work but I don't know anything about software design. Perhaps a good Kickstarter idea for the right person or partnership able to do it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome