Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

Re: Faster and cheaper scan back for large format.

I join to the 3K group. for that price I would go for too! would be just perfect for architectural shots.
    very curious for the tests, cant wait!

do you have plans or schedule how much time will it take approximately to get the prototype work?

So why not equip the back with wifi and use a smart phone or pad as command interface ? This is what I do with my MF digital backs (Hasselblad and LEAF)

Works like a charm and it is inexpensive. Not realtime but still acceptable imho.

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderfedin View Post
    Here is the thing:
    We are trying to find an LCD multitouch module for the device, and it appears that it is much easier to find the whole android kit with the built-in multitouch display then a separate module. Also, the kit shall have better resolution, colors, and shall cost up to 5 times less than the separate module! (~$100 for an android kit with a XVGA resolution vs. ~$300+ for a separate LCD module with the VGA resolution)
    Though, the android kit will have to be developed in a separate enclosure, that is connected to the scanback with a cable. So, it is a kinda bulky solution, and we prefer this to be one single device instead of two.

if you think that this is okay to have two boxes instead of one, or anyone of you can recommend a distributor who sells cheap LCD modules - this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

P.S. We also decided to make the device an open platform, so anybody will be able to contribute to the software and even the hardware parts.

Not going to happen anytime soon for all the reasons Alexander outlined.

I've ran a CCD sensor development team for a while and believe me, it is so hard to get good yield on these large sensors regardless of pixelsize ...

I would equally pay $50k for an 8x10 back ... but not for 40MP ... I have better than that in my MF back now with great performance ...

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Schneider View Post
    I'd pay $50k for an 8X10 40MP back.

A fellow had an 8x10 back made a couple of years ago, for "the cost of a good sized house"

http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2011/08/...-capture-back/

Hello everybody,
    We are facing a difficult problem here, so I need you guys to help us making the right decision.
    The problem is that we've found too many options with the display screen.

There are LCD modules of 5" size and the resolution of 480x800, that render approximately 262K colors.
    There are LCD modules of 7" size, resolution of 800x1260, and 1.6M colors.
    Which one would you prefer? The big one looks better, but consider the size of the device that has such a huge screen!

Another thing is the touch screen.
    There are two different technologies available on the market: resistive and capacitive.
    The resistive one is very difficult to find the one that supports multi-touch, but this screen should be fine to use outdoors with the gloves on.
    The capacitive shall support multi-touch for sure, but it's prone to accidental touch and impossible to work with while wearing gloves.
    Once again, what would be your choice?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

If you can make it wifi controllable from an ipad then go with the smaller screen, otherwise go big.

We're planning to get a few of them ready for test in the beginning of January.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    If you can make it wifi controllable from an ipad then go with the smaller screen, otherwise go big.
    Yes, there is an option of doing that, but we want our customers be free of much of the additional stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    A fellow had an 8x10 back made a couple of years ago, for "the cost of a good sized house"

http://www.aphotoeditor.com/2011/08/...-capture-back/
    ... and just 10 megapixels.
    Ours 1st version is gonna produce stunning 200 megapixels and shall support hardware HDR mode.

Electron and ion microscopist

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderfedin View Post
    There are LCD modules of 5" size and the resolution of 480x800, that render approximately 262K colors.
    There are LCD modules of 7" size, resolution of 800x1260, and 1.6M colors.
    Which one would you prefer? The big one looks better, but consider the size of the device that has such a huge screen!

Another thing is the touch screen.
    There are two different technologies available on the market: resistive and capacitive.
    The resistive one is very difficult to find the one that supports multi-touch, but this screen should be fine to use outdoors with the gloves on.
    The capacitive shall support multi-touch for sure, but it's prone to accidental touch and impossible to work with while wearing gloves.
    Once again, what would be your choice?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    I think it is very hard to have a preference for screen size and touch-technique, until one has tried the back and have feeling for how to use it. Will multi-touch be an important part of procedure? Will the larger screen drain the battery much faster? But of course, a 7" screen seems better and since I live in Sweden I often wear gloves.

I'm sure whatever choices you make for this version 1, much will be changed for a future version 2.