Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Inkjet better than wet prints yet?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Inkjet better than wet prints yet?

An incredible well made intricate piece done exclusively
    with hand tools by an unknown artisan might sell for considerably less than it cost to make.
    Highly unlikely unless the poor fellow was truly starving and had no other recourse. Like anything else, hand made true works of art cost more. Except in Photography where the artists has indoctrined the buyers that the machine is just as good as the hand - even better!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Then you know that you will pay far more for that table "...in shops that sell high-end, hand-made, so-called artisan furniture..." than you will at Ikea.
    Not if they're identical with a machine-made version, I won't. In fact, though, Ikea isn't selling identical products whose only difference is that they're machine made. You keep setting up straw-man comparisons that don't actually support the point you're trying to make.

Well thanks for the lively discussion to my post folks, it looks like I have created a monster!
    I think this could go on forever.
    Lets stop now and start making great work on Silver or Ink.
    http://www.architecturalphotos.net

Greg,

Rembrandt doesn't do negatives. As far a negatives are concerned see the post by Vaughn and Drew above.
    You utilized a scan of a painting and a scan of print for valuation compared tot he original painting and an original wet print to make a point about valuing an inkjet print. Who makes scans of originals and then tries to sell them for the same price as the original? It is difficult to make a logical argument based on a premise that nobody would do.

My reference of scanning a negative was to point out what people actually commonly do.

Silver for me!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    This never ending debate over how one process is superior over the other is tiresome. Find a process that works for you. Love your process, and let others love theirs.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Rudgey View Post
    Lets stop now and start making great work on Silver or Ink.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    You utilized a scan of a painting and a scan of print for valuation compared tot he original painting and an original wet print to make a point about valuing an inkjet print. Who makes scans of originals and then tries to sell them for the same price as the original? It is difficult to make a logical argument based on a premise that nobody would do.

My reference of scanning a negative was to point out what people actually commonly do.
    I was trying to point out that the market price for a painting by a famous painter who, like some photographers,also produce off sets of the original work, is always much higher than the offset.

Thomas

Silver for me!

Thomas
    More particularly the Kallitype II process. I mixed sentizers A & B on Tuesday and they should be "ripe" by now and ready to go. I have the paper, new Hake brush, the "right" negative, and everything else.

Thomas

I read this whole thread with disgust. Oren's post, two or three before this one is the only intelligent comment that can be made. Where's that beating the dead horse image?

I spent lots of years in the darkroom. I spent lots of years doing platinum. I recently spent a decade perfecting my ink set and my skills for inkjet. Personally, I don't think much of silver prints. I don't think they can hold a candle to any alternative process print or a good inkjet print. I don't think much of digital capture, either. But way more than those opinions is the one that I am so very sick of talking about it. All the same people espouse all the same opinions. Over and over again.

Everyone should just do what they want to.

I would like to suggest a new forum rule, that when a moderator sees a comparison of film vs digital or darkroom printing vs inkjet, that they stop the thread.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Drew Wiley

Yet you did put in your two cents worth, Lenny. So we've got at least one vote for inkjet.
    But my gosh ... what's the point of a forum without a good food fight from time to time?