Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be a good print scanner?

What would be a good print scanner?

Ok my Epson 1250 crapped out and I have an Agfa Duoscan t1200 but I find I dont like the way it scans reflective, it needs a lot of after scan work to make it look like the print and even then it does not do as good a job as the 1250 did. So, I thought I would ask what would you guys would look for in E bay. Remeber, I need good enough and cheap, not a state of the art scanner.

Re: What would be a good print scanner?

Jorge,

The reurbished 4870's for 200 are back on the Epson site. If this is cheap enough move fast as they tend not to last very long.

If you want cheaper yet see if you can find a UMax Powerlook III .... should be 100 or less.

I am also looking for a scanner. If you cant get a refurb one what is one that you can buy new that will do a excellent job at scanning your finished prints?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Gasteazoro View Post
    . . . I have an Agfa Duoscan t1200 but I find I dont like the way it scans reflective, it needs a lot of after scan work to make it look like the print and even then it does not do as good a job as the 1250 did.
    I wonder if your Agfa would benefit from a good profile?

Also, in saying "Print Scanner," are you saying that you're primarily interested in scanning prints? How do you plan to use your next scanner?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Jorge,

I use exactly the same scanner for both prints and film. I've found that tweaking the profile really makes a big difference! Also I use VueScan software. Some of my prints need five passes to get good shadow detail, especially the ones on Bergger Prestige paper. I imagine Pt/Pd prints would benefit from the same treatment, since the surface texture is similar.

If this is just for putting stuff on the web, or even for reproduction in print publications, you might just consider getting a digital camera. You don't have to worry about size restrictions (your biggest camera is 12x20", no?), and you can control the lighting to accentuate or suppress the print texture as you like. You can also use it to digitize negs and transparencies on a light box.

For this kind of use you don't need a particularly high resolution camera. My old 3.3 Mpix Coolpix 990 does fine. I keep it on a copy stand most of the time, and I use my scanners less and less.

I concur with David. I Just set up the prints and shoot in even, natural light with the digi and get quicker images for web that way.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Thanks for the responses, I have tried the digital camera way and I just cant get the images right, crooked, blown out, etc...seems more trouble than just puting it in the machine...

Now, what is this profile thing? The Agfa comes with it own software, you guys mean I have to buy another software to optimize the Agfa scanner preformance? I plan to use the scanner just for putting prints in my web site and I need them to be as close to the original as possible with little manipulation, I have no desire to spend the next six months learning all that PS can do.

If I need to get a profiler, are there any decent ones as free ware? Let me put it this way, scanning is not my thing and I dont want to spend more than $50 on something I am using maybe once or twice a month.

Thanks all....

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

The AGFA software is - not bad.

VueScan is good. The $40 for the standard edition is well spent money; I used it for about a year and then paid another $40 for the full ("Professional") edition. I use it a lot less than once or twice a month, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    The AGFA software is - not bad.

VueScan is good. The $40 for the standard edition is well spent money; I used it for about a year and then paid another $40 for the full ("Professional") edition. I use it a lot less than once or twice a month, too...
    Yeah....seems this is going to have to be the way to go, I am bidding on another Epson 1250 with a max bid of $15 if I win then I am good for hopefully another year or so until it craps out..lol..if not then I will try either vuescan or silverfast.