Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What exactly have I got here?

Re: What exactly have I got here?

I remember developing a box of super-XX film on film rather than glass in the early 1970's. At that time I was using D-76 for everything. Benzotriozole (anti-fog solution) might help as well. Are the plates wrapped in paper or plastic and if the plastic is sealed the plates might yield something and with anti-fog solution. According to net info it was sold up to 1992 in sheet film format. I think I did a zone system curve plotting of Super XX film in the mid 1970's. It had very straight curves for zone system development.

OK, I have examined one of the other boxes that was opened and it did indeed contain Super XX on glass plates.
    The plates were stuck together inside their decaying paper wrappers so there might be little hope for the those in the unopened boxes as they seem to be from the same vintage.
    Thanks to all
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    I have a couple of crates of GI 1940's vintage Kodak plates that I ought to play with sometime. Any special developer recommended?
    DK-50 is recommended as it controls swelling, clean working, and contains a restrainer...

Steve K

Oh... I think AA and YK were Super XX users !!!!!

I'd just take one plate and I'd expose an Stouffer wedge (T2115 like) on it.

Now I perfectioning my DIY glass plates and I'm pretty sure that my emulsion get's more fog in one week that a kodak ancient plate in a century

First, it would be interesting to know how this plates are keeping some sort of useful activity after such a long period. It's like openning a 1940 good wine bottle, sure wine is not "perfect", but anyway it is a ceremony.

There are nice exemples of very old found films that were developed succesfuly with "recoverable" old latent images. http://www.westfordcomp.com/

Here you have an advantage, as you can calibrate the plates again by exposing an Stouffer wedge on it... then you can determine best exposure.

Sure it will be a "lomographyc" result, but by knowing how it is still working you have the chance to use that for creativity. Perhaps some areas would be worse.

One important thing it would be development, you should search general technics to develop ancient film, sure those plates have a very delicate emulsion and probably it would be good to develop it in cold water and longer time to allow the emulsion stay in place. Perhaps fog can be diminished with adding some Benzotriazole to developer, should be investigated, this effect would be seen in the calibration.

Super XX says that can be handled under W 3 safe light, so should be ortho and you can make calibration under safe light, a convenient way. So it would be good ASAP to inspect a Super XX plate under safe ligth to see how the surface remains, and if fungus damaged it.

In special those Super XX plates, if still working, would be very nice to shot, one can feel like Ansel with that !!!

I don't know you, but I would get a large ammount of fun with it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Sure it will be a "lomographyc" result, but by knowing how it is still working you have the chance to use that for creativity. Perhaps some areas would be worse.

In special those Super XX plates, if still working, would be very nice to shot, one can feel like Ansel with that !!!

I don't know you, but I would get a large ammount of fun with it !!!
    I shoot 4x5 Kodak Royal-X Pan made in the 1960's. Fortunately for me, the boxes I have have never gotten damp or wet -- and since I've had them, they have lived in a freezer. Royal-X Pan is a fast film similar to Kodak's 2475 and 2485 Recording films -- very fast and very grainy. Kodak rates it at ASA 1250, but I shoot it usually at ISO 800. It is probably similar to Super XX. I use D-76 1+1. Tons of "Lomography" fun, especially with soft-focus lenses or pinholes! Landscapes look like results from the late 1800's Romantic/Pictorial period.

Super XX says that can be handled under W 3 safe light, so should be ortho and you can make calibration under safe light, a convenient way.
    Super-XX was never an Ortho film - there's an old Kodak dataguide somewhere on archive.org if you want the spectral plot - it apparently had very even colour sensitivity which made it Kodak's choice for separation film for Dye Transfer etc - and that was probably why it lasted in production till the end of dye transfer production. It was a type-b panchro film I recall from the data sheet & about 1/3 stop slower under tungsten (like most panchro films - it's just that most films today state the daylight speed only). Most faster Ortho films lose about a stop of speed under tungsten.

Also, pretty much anything that needs a green safelight is panchro sensitised, & that safelight is really only for inspection after a certain amount of development time has elapsed, not for viewing the undeveloped film. Kodak's #2 or Ilford's 906 safelight filters are the ones you want for fast Ortho materials.

Many thanks everyone for the responses - they are valued.
    I was speaking to a friend last night and he thinks he can source a camera that takes glass plates this size.
    We are looking towards having some fun with these old plates anyway.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Toyo View Post
    Many thanks everyone for the responses - they are valued.
    I was speaking to a friend last night and he thinks he can source a camera that takes glass plates this size.
    We are looking towards having some fun with these old plates anyway.
    Tom
    Let me suggest another way, use it as it was print paper to obtain positive slides.

Here's the scoop on SUPER-XX. It is ASA 200 and except for the base is NOT like 2475 or 2485.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kodaksuperxx.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	171311

Let me suggest another way, use it as it was print paper to obtain positive slides.
    I had not thought of that - thank you
    Tom