Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider 210mm Angulon Question.

Re: Schneider 210mm Angulon Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post
    But a 210mm Angulon doesn't necessarily have to be uncoated. They were made over very long time, and most of them were coated!
    My Angulon 165mm, made 1950 (!), is coated. Early coated Angulons, and other Schneider-lenses, are marked with a red triangle.

Peter K

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Even my 1939 90mm Angulon is coated.
    - but my 1938 210mm Angulon is uncoated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Tjugen View Post

But a 210mm Angulon doesn't necessarily have to be uncoated. They were made over very long time, and most of them were coated!

That`s good.

It doesn't always make that much difference!

This picture was shot with the uncoated 210mm Angulon, using absolutely maximum front rise as well as front and rear tilt to get even more rise, on 8x10". You can see that I managed to exceed the sharp coverage of even this lens, but keep in mind that everything in the picture is above the camera position. I tried "forcing" an image circle well in excess of 500mm, more like 650mm! The bellows is intruding in the bottom, too...

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Is the Angulon design the same as the Dagor or the wide-angle Dagor? I've heard them called Dagor- and reverse-Dagor designs...

Keith ~ If you're going to be doing landscapes, you probably won't need a whole lot in the way of movements. The 210 Angulon might be expensive overkill. A 215mm f/4.8 Ilex Acuton (aka Caltar-S) is a lovely coated plasmat that covers 8x10 sharply to the corners with a little bit of movement, and converts to a 360mm, (even has a factory scale for the conversion on the shutter). They're often in the $150-$200 range for a nice one. There are quite a few other lenses that would work well on 8x10 in that focal range too...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Is the Angulon design the same as the Dagor or the wide-angle Dagor? I've heard them called Dagor- and reverse-Dagor designs...
    The Dagor is a double-anastigmat, rear- and front-part have the same focal-lenght. This is also true for the reversed Dagor. The Angulon remenbers the reversed Dagor, but the front- and rear-part have different focal-lenghts: 2 : 1,5 : 1 (front : rear : total). Also the outer surfaces are larger to avoid the vignetting problem of the reversed Dagor.

BTW, with 382mm image-circle the Angulon 210mm at f/16 can be shiftet 60 resp. 49 mm.

But there is a much better lens with 500 mm image-circle: the Super-Angulon 210!

Peter K
    Last edited by Peter K; 1-Dec-2007 at 11:49. Reason: Super-Angulon 210

I bought a `new` Nikon 240mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W today. Mr Cad in Croyden, UK still have some of the final batches of the Nikon lenses in stock. I also bought a Sinar Norma 8x10 which also has a 4x5 reducing back and two 8x10 DDS`s. So I should receive my first 8x10 Camera by Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    I bought a `new` Nikon 240mm f/5.6 Nikkor-W today. Mr Cad in Croyden, UK still have some of the final batches of the Nikon lenses in stock. I also bought a Sinar Norma 8x10 which also has a 4x5 reducing back and two 8x10 DDS`s. So I should receive my first 8x10 Camera by Tuesday.
    Congratulations Keith

The Nikkor-W is a fine lens, and multi coated too with an image-circle of 336m at f/22 it fills 8x10 but only not much more. So a nice Angulon 210mm, or Super-Angulon, could be your next lens in the short direction.

Much success with your LF-camera!

Peter K

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    Congratulations Keith

The Nikkor-W is a fine lens, and multi coated too with an image-circle of 336m at f/22 it fills 8x10 but only not much more. So a nice Angulon 210mm, or Super-Angulon, could be your next lens in the short direction.

Much success with your LF-camera!

Peter K
    Thanks Peter and also thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    The Dagor is a double-anastigmat, rear- and front-part have the same focal-lenght. This is also true for the reversed Dagor. The Angulon remenbers the reversed Dagor, but the front- and rear-part have different focal-lenghts: 2 : 1,5 : 1 (front : rear : total). Also the outer surfaces are larger to avoid the vignetting problem of the reversed Dagor.
    A "Double Anastigmat" is a lens consisting of two cells, each of which is an anastigmat in its own right. The cells do not need to have the same focal length.

A "Dagor" is a lens where each cell has three cemented elements in the order +-+. "Reversed Dagor" is used to designate a lens where the elements are in the -+- order. One example of this is the Zeiss Doppel-Amatar, another is the Angulon. The Angulon, as Peter writes, has an enlarged front element to avoid vignetting.

BTW, with 382mm image-circle the Angulon 210mm at f/16 can be shiftet 60 resp. 49 mm.
    Schneiders stated image circles are very conservative, as my example above shows. That was shot with almost 250mm vertical shift - way more than 49mm! Admittedly it goes soft in the top, but 200mm vertical shift in portrait orientation should still give enough sharpness for contact prints.

Also: The construction of the Angulons was changed several times, and earlier examples have a less abrupt drop in sharpness when the stated image circle is exceeded. Many will find these quite acceptable for much larger image circles than Schneider states for the newer lenses. The original specification for the very first 210mm Angulons was 500mm image circle - but that is overly optimistic...