Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Routing a precision 'ledge' for GG in mahogany, which bit type?

Drew Wiley

Re: Routing a precision 'ledge' for GG in mahogany, which bit type?

Woodworking is fun anyway, even if you have to enlist the help of rabbits.

even if you have to enlist the help of rabbits

But every time I do that my tenons end up just a hare's breath oversize!

We all get there one way or another. The fun is in the journey. I prefer a do it twice DIY effort than store bought solutions. In the factory I worked, we made everything we possibly could, my boss thought that was a good way to keep us busy and employed. Making a custom dyno engine stand for a new Cummins truck was a joy and heavy work. Also it could not break, as it needed to endure years of continuous running. I miss that job. If there was no real work, we made things to learn skills. All mechanics had to make their own toolboxes as their first assignment. I made a 2 person 4 wheel pedal car. I bought and paid for all materials, but when I had free time...

May as well show it here, shot with Pentax H3, sure a lot of parts are re-purposed, but king pins, axles, crank hangers, brakes, tie rods, bla, bla, bla were all machine shop learning experiences. It could be disassembled in 20 minutes to fit in a car trunk, and it was the size of a small car. Drove it on streets of Chicago and bicycle paths. I donated it to http://www.youngscientistchallenge.com/ for parts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pedal car wildwood.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	103433

Carpenter

Nice ride! What a great way it could have been to get the massive camera to the shooting location along a nice wide bike path

In response to one of the posts above about being able to use a fence instead of a mortising bit with a bearing. The bearing and bit rely on the spacer material to act as a "fence". This way you can feed the material into the bit at any point without fear of going past your outside dimension.
    With a fence you'd have to place the back to the fence and drop it onto the spinning bit to "plunge" into your material. You'd have to have perfectly set stops in place on the fence to prevent you from cutting beyond your outside dimension. The fence allows great accuracy but in this case it would possibly be a liability.

We were really too wide for Lake Michigan bike trail, but we only went there midweek, midday and in the north end there is less traffic. Believe me I know we were big, but we were officially a bicycle. This was 20 years ago and now they rent them downtown...

I need to set up in our community workshop and start trying this business, but right now our leaders are 'organizing' the space.

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak View Post
    Nice ride! What a great way it could have been to get the massive camera to the shooting location along a nice wide bike path

In response to one of the posts above about being able to use a fence instead of a mortising bit with a bearing. The bearing and bit rely on the spacer material to act as a "fence". This way you can feed the material into the bit at any point without fear of going past your outside dimension.
    With a fence you'd have to place the back to the fence and drop it onto the spinning bit to "plunge" into your material. You'd have to have perfectly set stops in place on the fence to prevent you from cutting beyond your outside dimension. The fence allows great accuracy but in this case it would possibly be a liability.

Somebody sent me free Litho tape, I presume because of this thread, but there is no name attached to the 'free' invoice. Whomever you are, thank you!

Finally got the router up and running. Got a Craftsman diecast aluminum, made in USA, router bench to match the router from Roger Thoms. Didn't cut this project yet, but did use it to make new bellows frames for my Deardorff SC11. This thing works great! I think this little kit will be all I need to make my 'precision' ULF camera.

Gotta work faster, Spring is coming!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN3889.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	106201Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-DSCN3890.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	106202

Hey Randy, great to hear the router is working out for you, and that it's being put to good use. The router bench looks like a good find too.

Roger

That Craftsman is a great little router table. Have fun!!
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    I hate routers. One tiny slip and the work is a mess.
    The only router I use a a CNC one. It goes where you tell it to (usually!).

Steve.