Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JOBO motor getting sluggish

JOBO motor getting sluggish

Hi,
    Lately, my JOBO CPP-2 motor is getting sluggish, normally after 10 mins or so of processing. It's a 1st upgrade motor and although it's not the most robust for a #3010 expert drum, when I bought the processor used a few months ago the motor has performed flawless until now. What have I... a dying motor or It needs some sort of lubrication? Has anyone tried to lubricate it?
    Cheers,
    Cristiano

P.S. I've never used the drum with more than 550 ml of solution, to reduce strain on the motor.

Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

Cristiano-
    Mine's the same way, seems to get sluggish quicker when processing at warmer temperatures (e.g. E-6 temps). Don't know about lubrication other than making sure the gears/cogs all spin freely. Sometimes old bath water and/or chemicals make their way onto the shafts of these and they get sticky. I sometimes wonder about the red seals on the tank tops and whether or not they get sticky with age, maybe less flexible and therefore provided more resistence (???). Good luck, hopefully someone has a better answer for this. (I've assumed your using the lift with this).
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    Cristiano-
    Mine's the same way, seems to get sluggish quicker when processing at warmer temperatures (e.g. E-6 temps). Don't know about lubrication other than making sure the gears/cogs all spin freely. Sometimes old bath water and/or chemicals make their way onto the shafts of these and they get sticky. I sometimes wonder about the red seals on the tank tops and whether or not they get sticky with age, maybe less flexible and therefore provided more resistence (???). Good luck, hopefully someone has a better answer for this. (I've assumed your using the lift with this).
    Hi Paul,
    thanks for the input. Yea, I started to notice also this problem when I processed my 2nd batch of E-6. I've injected a few drops of oil in the shaft and It went well a few times with B&W, but now the problem has arose again. That's why I'm considering the option of taking apart the motor casing and do some greasy job to see If I can solve the problem... by the way, I'm a tribologist so solving friction problems is in my blood
    I'm using the lift also. This weekend I'm going to have a go and see if its possible to lubricate the shaft.

Someone once mentioned that the motor in the Jobo is actually a Mercedes Benz wiper motor. If upon dismantling the unit to the point of actually seeing the motor assembly, perhaps you could search for identification and if that is true, call a local Benz dealer for advice?

On a similar topic concerning the Jobo motors... How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish? Is there some reference that indicates a rotation speed of 4 (for example) should revolve a drum X times in one-direction in Y seconds? I guess I am looking to see if there is a slow degradation of performance...

Thanks,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    Someone once mentioned that the motor in the Jobo is actually a Mercedes Benz wiper motor. If upon dismantling the unit to the point of actually seeing the motor assembly, perhaps you could search for identification and if that is true, call a local Benz dealer for advice?
    Mercedes Benz wiper motor I'll check that thanks.

Post Re: JOBO motor getting sluggish

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruderman View Post
    How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish?
    Hi Robert,
    Easy, the loss in performance is readily observable. In my case, the rotation suffers a considerable reduction to point that it almost seems to stop.

Paul Wainwright

I had the same problem a few years ago... I learned that Jobo actually sold a lubrication kit for the processor. I bought one - it is essentially a tube of greese that fits onto a lubrication point near the shaft on the lift.

I did 2 things to solve the problem:

1. I lubricated the shaft, and
    2. I set the ballance wheels under the drum to be in about the middle of the drum, so that no weight was on the cog end of the drum.

No problems since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruderman View Post
    On a similar topic concerning the Jobo motors... How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish? Is there some reference that indicates a rotation speed of 4 (for example) should revolve a drum X times in one-direction in Y seconds? I guess I am looking to see if there is a slow degradation of performance...

Thanks,
    Robert
    http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana...9904.htm#FA994

Be sure that the lid of the expert drum is seated PERFECTLY. If it is out of line even in the slightest, it will cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.
    Tom Keenan