Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the film scanner options in 2017?

Foamer

Re: What are the film scanner options in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich14 View Post
    Understood. Yes that's an issue. Both theoretical and practical.

But in my completely unscientific testing, the path through the camera's exposure compensation, inherent in-camera RAW settings and ACR/Photoshop "post" processing produce results equal to or better than my own D4000 or Tango scans on screen or printed on an Epson 7890.

I originally tried using some old 150mm and 300mm repro process lenses. As well as my 50mm f/2.8 EL Nikkors (both original and "newer" designs). I expected the process lenses to give excellent 1:1 performance. But nothing works as well as the Micro Nikkor. I believe a big part of the problem with the others was flare in the extension tube and bellows setups. I may be able to improve on that but the Micro Nikkor is just so easy to use.

I imagine there are better lenses for this purpose, but this one is hard to beat.

I own a D800E and a Nikon 105mm Micro f2.8 AFS (current model.) Do you have a photo of your set up? I've been using an Epson v750 to scan 4x5 & 5x7, but it is slow. Sounds like taking four shots of a negative and stitching in CC would be faster and actually better.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Heidelberg Tango Scan

Scan Details: Wet Mount 2000 DPI in ProPhoto RGB, 16 Bits, +10 Exposure Compensation (Max setting). No other adjustments.

JPEGs of scan.

1- Rotated and Resized Scans

2 - Above Scan with levels adjustments only

3 - Crop of above.

Download Original Tango Scan [470 MB File]

Pali
    Wow. This is clear evidence if ever anyone doubted PMT technology against DSLR chips. Dont waste your time or money on dslr "scans", you'd be better off with a used ES Pro or a new epson v series if you can't find a drum scanner.

Can't believe the garbage I've read in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich14 View Post
    I've added two files to the Dropbox folder, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/flir6e4j7...w9q9ljyPa?dl=0

Rich, in this scan you have 2 problems (IMHO) that are easy to correct with few clicks in Photoshop: Stray light and color temperature of your illumination source.

You also need to make a calibration profile with an IT8 slide target.

First, correcting stray light:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stray_curve.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	168113

Balance:

Name:	balance.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	168114

Saturation:

Name:	Saturation.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	168115

Result:

Name:	Result.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	168116

I took me just 1min, of course it can be matched better... A good match may require you make a color calibration of your system, with that IT8 target slide and proper software.

Every scanning device may have a slightly different spectral footprint from illumination SPD (CRI... to also be considered) and particular spectral absortion of the on pixels dyes of D800 (made by Sony) sensor.

An spectral footprint is not better than another, after calibration results will look very similar, but not completely the same.

IMHO your project has next challenges: Stray light control, deep shadow (you can use a multiexposure like strategy), selecting the best illumination and color calibration.

There are a lot of advanced techniques to control stray light you may explore (polarization).

The original question was what one's options for scanning were now and maybe a few years in the future.

And there aren't all that many - an Epson, an old drum scanner, an old industrial strength flatbed ... or a digital camera. And more and more the pendulum seems to be swinging toward the digital camera as the old stuff (and old folks) get scarcer.

I went with an IQmart as a step up from the Epson. I'm sure it will outlast me. Others (particularly younger folks) may make different choices.

As far as I can see, there's been nothing surprising here: A Tango in excellent condition will do very well with high density film. Not all drum scanners give the same quality. A good dslr using a good setup can give decent results. Talk about scanners long enough, and someone will behave poorly.......
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

DSLRs are relatively good at "scanning" 35mm negative film(both color and B&W) at around 4000 dpi max. Beyond that one would need to look for a scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    DSLRs are relatively good at "scanning" 35mm negative film(both color and B&W) at around 4000 dpi max. Beyond that one would need to look for a scanner.
    Why? I showed a dslr scan of a resolution target that went higher than that earlier in the thread. Need more resolution? Increase the magnification.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Peter, I agree 100%. Your resolution target matches the performance of my Tango - maybe even exceeds it. I have heard some Tango units do close to 6000 DPI in tests but that's about the max they go. My Scanmate 11000 does around 8000 DPI but won't get the shadow detail that Tango does. For me personally, it is not about the resolution but the clarity and purity of the scan.

At the end of the day, the most exciting part is that film is so much alive that we are now trying to make the most from it using the latest technology

Pali

Yeah, the importance of super high scanning resolution is of dubious value, especially with large format.

Amen!!!