Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a LIGHTER tripod

Re: Looking for a LIGHTER tripod

Steve, I will echo the praise of the Feisol line of tripods. I recently purchased a #3441 with CB-30 head from Kerry and am very impressed with the craftsmanship, not to mention the light weight. Even my wife is impressed; no, she is not a photographer, but on occasion carried my Bogen#3021. Check out the Feisol line, they may have what you need. Kerry is very helpful with his feedback and provides excellent service.

Please let me chip in with another thumbs up for the Feisol tripods. Although a little on the heavy side for 4x5 i just bought a 3471 from Kerry Thalmann and it is a real first class tripod. Light, rigid and very well made.

Being one of the original owners of a Feisol 3471 (over three years now) I also highly recommend the brand. The 3471 might be more than you need but it is still lighter than my aluminum Gitzo that is smaller. I personally like the 4 stage leg for being more compact and it is every bit as rigid as the 3 stage. Merg, you being the experienced photographer as you are, please report to us about the durability of the ball head when you get some time on it. You are the second person that I heard that has one.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Giottos Lava Classic tripods will easily fit in your price range. Lava is Giotto's name for basalt columns and tubes. Of course it would be easier to answer your question if we knew how much your camera and lens weighs that will be on the tripod.

Another possibility would be a Berlebach wood tripod but that would be heavier then the Lava tripods.
    How is the Giottos GB3158 vs. the Freisols Kerry is offering?

Quote Originally Posted by audioexcels View Post
    How is the Giottos GB3158 vs. the Freisols Kerry is offering?
    I have no idea. I have never seen a Feisol at a dealer or at a photo show. Nor are we aware of any national distributor of that brand.
    The GB series is on closeout and is no longer manufactured. The MT series is currently manufactured.

The GB3158 is made from Lava (basalt) tubes. As far as we know only Manfrotto and Giottos offers basalt fiber tubes.

The GB3158 has 28mm dia. legs, is 3 section, opens to 61", ,inimum height is 22.2" (lower with an optional short column), folds to 25" and weighs 4 pounds. Is supplied with padded case, shoulder straps for the tripod and the case and a tool kit. Has level and compass built-in. Load capacity is 20 pounds. Today this tripod would sell for less then $200.00 at a camera store. Before it was discontinued the street price was $330.00.

You will have to see which Feisol compares with it.

www.reallybigcameras.com

The GB series is on closeout and is no longer manufactured.
    The Feisol CT-3301 has just been redesigned (less than two months ago) and is in current production.

The GB3158 has 28mm dia. legs, is 3 section, opens to 61"
    The Feisol CT-3301 has 28mm diameter legs with 3 sections and extends to 72" with the optional ($39.00) center column kit.

minimum height is 22.2" (lower with an optional short column)
    The minimum height for the Feisol CT-3301 is 8.2" with the stock flat plate.

folds to 25"
    The folded length of the Fesiol CT-3301 is 23.6".

and weighs 4 pounds.
    The Feisol CT-3301 weighs 2.59 pounds.

Is supplied with padded case, shoulder straps for the tripod and the case and a tool kit.
    All Feisol tripods come with the carrying case and tool kit included in the price.

Has level and compass built-in. Load capacity is 20 pounds.
    No level or compass (?), but the Feisol CT-3301 has the same 9kg/19.8 lb. load rating as the Giottos.

Today this tripod would sell for less then $200.00 at a camera store. Before it was discontinued the street price was $330.00.
    The new, improved Feisol CT-3301 sells for $215.00. The lowest online close out price I can find on the discontinued Giottos GB3158 is $214.95 at Adorama:

http://www.google.com/products?q=gio...tf-8&scoring=p

You will have to see which Feisol compares with it.
    That would be the Feisol CT-3301.

Kerry Thalmann
    Really Big Cameras
    http://reallybigcameras.com

Eric Biggerstaff

I will give a BIG thumbs up to the Giottos line of tripods, high quality, great price and the most features of any pod on the market today (IMO).

I prefer the Lava series of pods in the "Classic" version (all come in either "Classic" or "Pro", the pro version as a built in pan/tilt head).

I am NOT a distributor of these pods and have no business connection with them, it is just a nice series of tripods with lots of features found on more expensive pods for much less money. Also, the come with standard features like padded case, shoulder strap, padded legs, tool kit, etc. that many of the more expensive lines don't even offer.

Good luck.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

"The new, improved Feisol CT-3301 sells for $215.00. The lowest online close out price I can find on the discontinued Giottos GB3158 is $214.95 at Adorama:"

That is based on an older closeout price. Since April the dealer cost went down again on the GB Lava series.

Photographer

I bought a lightweight Benro on Ebay last year to use when I want a lighter outfit, and while traveling. It's a Gitzo clone and, at least from a functionality standpoint, it's as good as a Gitzo. A friend figured out how to eliminate the center column very inexpensively, and without damaging the tripod. Overall, very satisfied with the tripod and the quick shipment direct from China.
    Keith Pitman

Bob,

Like Kerry I didn't find a lower price than the $214.95 at Adorama. BH was in the $300s.