Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hubbell Trading Post NHS Artist-in-Residence.

Re: Hubbell Trading Post NHS Artist-in-Residence.

Shutting down the hogan to load film holders in the dark brings out some strange insects. I haven't seen stuff this weird since I turned on a flashlight at 2:AM in the Climbers Cave on Shiprock.

Under sleeping bag in pre-dawn trying to remember sequence of shots, what they were about. Glad to see several things for the second time. The first day was more graphic- wall stripes, but today I was relating the walls to other things below or in front of them. Interested to see where this goes.

Saw some of my favorite trees and rocks. Stopped and payed respects at a tomb in a cave above Antelope House. I don't know who is in there, but they buried them with care.

It's Sunday. Big Day here, lotta people up in the Canyons. Police checkpoint last night on the road back from Chinle to Ganado. They just waved me through. Looking for drinking and driving. 20 police cars looking over vehicles full of teenagers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3818.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	113974

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	113975

I really enjoy reading these posts, Robert. Thank you for letting us "tag along" in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by billie williams View Post
    I really enjoy reading these posts, Robert. Thank you for letting us "tag along" in this way.
    I'm also enjoying your narrative. This is as close as I'm going to get at being an Artist in Residence.

Welcome to all. I've been doing a little into talk in the main house tour telling folks about the tradition of artists here at the Hubbell site and mentioning that I feel the responsibility of that greatly. Went up and paid my respects at the grave site on Hubbell Hill.

Not a thing going on but tourists. Booked a guide at CDC for this afternoon. Asked for my previous guide but he's uh.....out hunting Easter Eggs. Going up the de Chelly side. 250 for about six hours in their car.

The Chicken Sisters were up early. I let them out of the house and into the coop and snagged two very fresh eggs which I cooked with the last half of the bacon. This is like the Boy Scouts, but no merit badges!

Noticing shadows. Been really enjoying this one just across the yard from the Hogan.

Name:	IMG_3854.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	113986

If that planter was planted, and those long lines pointed at something out on the horizon, this would be a real photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by billie williams View Post
    Same here, I'm enjoying these posts. Ah-Keh'-heh ….. it means thank you in the Navajo language.

Name:	IMG_3825_2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	113987 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3823.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	113988

Here are a couple I turned down. I SO wanted the cut-out in the rock to go, but it just wouldn't. Light was late and had gotten pretty thin. We walked around in front of it and I tried a couple of different viewpoints and lenses. I included it as part of a big scene and cut it with 450mm to just the shape. Just wouldn't go.
    Frustrating.

The fence post brought me to a screeching halt, but same result. I got out and looked- it was quite a "thing" to see but I just couldn't manage it into a camera.

Shot a couple of iphone files of both. I haven't had any more luck on the computer working with them. Not everything works.

I did have one I didn't think would go, but shot an iphone wide angle of it as a note and there it was. I ran for the big camera.

Name:	IMG_3763.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	113989

I hadn't noticed the little energetic black twiggy stuff until I shot it with iphone. More black at the top with 5X7. (My iphone is pointing off the subject when I zoom it.)

Using a polarizer on the rocks. Cuts a little bit of reflection and brings out the stripes. Mostly shooting in the shade. Tempted to stack filters. You would think that you could just meter through them and be good but I've been burned every time I have done that with massive underexposure, so I'm a little hesitant. Polarizer or light yellow mostly. Or nothing. Once with the deep red. Nothing yet on a green.

Like being in the Louvre. There is a masterpiece around every corner.

Weather was so good I texted up the tour guys from the top of the barn, (where Verizon has one bar), and laid on a guide for 2:00. It was Tulley in a Suburban. Slow day for them. I guess my light complaints about the jeep were enough. We went up the de Chelly side, past Whitehouse Ruin but got stopped a couple miles farther by a creek crossing that had stuck people. I was happy enough not to get stuck ourselves and we wandered back out. Most of the shooting was iphone notes to try and puzzle out some walls. One wall, just up from White House, we visited in 2012. The Navajos and Park Service are cutting and burning salt cedar and Russian Olive. They have opened up some big areas. Needed it. The big 2012 wall you could actually back up and SEE. Before it was just a road along the edge of the base and a thick wall of Salt Cedar.

Beat from a long day. Here's a few selections:

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	114001 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3885.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	114002 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3924.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	114003

Name:	IMG_3965.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	114004

Name:	IMG_3883.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	114005

Name:	IMG_3958.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	114006

Lots of iphone notes from walls yesterday trying to sort things out. Lotta scenery, but tough to pick out real pieces that might be made into art. I'm previewing every shot on iphone to learn things and then making a record if I do shoot. Her's a few I'm still thinking about.

Name:	IMG_3897.jpg 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	114018

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	114021

Name:	IMG_3923.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	114022

Last one I shot on film. Lotta glare around the corner. Hope the Ektar 190 handled it. The iphone note is a little dark but you get the idea. Seems like every day I shoot a little LESS film.

Making a run down to Petrified Forest this morning to talk to some folks.

Lots of iphone notes from walls yesterday trying to sort things out. Lotta scenery, but tough to pick out real pieces that might be made into art. I'm previewing every shot on iphone to learn things and then making a record if I do shoot. Her's a few I'm still thinking about.

Name:	IMG_3897.jpg 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	114018

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	114021

Name:	IMG_3923.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	114022

Last one I shot on film. Lotta glare around the corner. Hope the Ektar 190 handled it. The iphone note is a little dark but you get the idea. Seems like every day I shoot a little LESS film.

Making a run down to Petrified Forest this morning to talk to some folks.