Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good Film Development Timer?

Re: Good Film Development Timer?

Frank-
    It would have to be a very small darkroom with a very new GraLab for fogging to be a problem. My trouble in recent years was that the old Gra-Lab got so dim that it was almost impossible to see from 4 feet away, after a couple of minutes.
    I'd like to have had one of the Zone VI compensating timers but I wouldn't spend the money when they were available... now, for the time being, Praus does my 4x5.

If you don't want to get an iPhone, I have an iPod touch and use the Massive Development Chart. There are also numerous other useful photo related apps for free or cheap. The iPod touch is the iPhone without the phone (except that you can make calls from a wifi connection with an added app.

Truly, my iPod touch is the ultimate swiss army knife of the 21st century. I even have an app that helps me level my cameras in the field, determines pinhole exposures, calculates mat cutting, and so on...

...and there's no data plan necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by urs0polar View Post
    iphone + massive dev chart app ... it gives you sounds to indicate when to agitate. it works great for roll and rotary, not sure for tray development as I've never done that.
    Last edited by David Aimone; 29-Jan-2012 at 13:29. Reason: one more thought...
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

OK I am doing film-only and need something I can see in the dark without risk of fogging open film. NO SAFELIGHT. I don't want to rely on alarms because I sometimes goof with setting them.

I don't want to spend $200 on a fancy enlarging timer or get a Touch for simple darkroom work.

Sounds like a Gralab unless someone has a better idea.

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    If you don't want to get an iPhone, I have an iPod touch and use the Massive Development Chart. There are also numerous other useful photo related apps for free or cheap. The iPod touch is the iPhone without the phone (except that you can make calls from a wifi connection with an added app.

Truly, my iPod touch is the ultimate swiss army knife of the 21st century. I even have an app that helps me level my cameras in the field, determines pinhole exposures, calculates mat cutting, and so on...

...and there's no data plan necessary!
    What app lets you use an IPod as a wi-fi phone?
    Keith Pitman

I've never noticed any fogging with a Gra Lab 300 in my 10'x10' closet er darkroom. I work mainly with b&w film in open trays, but some C-41 loading and unloading too without issues. I have a gooseneck lamp next to the timer to charge the phosphors right before using the timer so it can get fairly bright, though it does fade quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    What app lets you use an IPod as a wi-fi phone?
    talkatone
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

I had exactly the same problems until I did not start to use Jobo drums for 4x5", but I guess you are working with trays and therefore need complete darkness. I can imagine following solutions:

1) Use night vision (Ken Lee could comment on that, as far as I know he uses one) and on that case a mechanical or digital stopwatch of some kind could work.

2) You could use tones (maybe some king of timer-software for smartphones or computer) or music of well defined length to get your times

3) Use a mechanical stop-watch (wristwatch) that uses actively powered (tritium is most common) or long-lasting fluorescence (super-luminova on divers watches) markers on the dial that are bright enough to read but certainly not bright enough to fog anything.

4) some clever app for a smartphone that keep the screen on close to 0 luminance (never hear of one though) and displays the timer.

With my brief (and expensive) experience with the world of mechanical watches I would say that the solution (3) would be the most expensive one.

I probably did not help you much though ...
    Matus

Get a cassette player, and record yourself ringing a bell every 30s or minute.
    Play the cassette in the darkroom when you develop film.
    It's also the perfect opportunity to learn Mandarin subliminally.
    And wear a wristwatch!

I have the Radio Shack timer as recommended by chassis. Mine has a clip on the back with a magnet and I use the magnet to place the timer on the lid an empty spaghetti sauce jar which raises it up and more easily seen. I place it near a safelight because it has a liquid crystal readout.

If you're developing film in a tray something else may work better but for prints and tank film developing it works very well for me.

I find the battery lasts at least a year.

Hope this helps you!

+1 for the Massive Dev iPhone app. I've been developing in trays, and have found it useful.

Pros (in addition to what others have posted):
    - Can set split development times if you're doing N/N-1 development in the same tray
    - Easy to set up for e.g. 10 sec agitation every minute - gives you a 5-sec warning as well
    - Just a touch to start timing the next phase.
    - +1 for temp compensation

Cons:
    - have to remember to turn the autobright/screenlock off and the airplane mode on (so nobody calls and turns the phone into a blinding beacon...)
    - Even in dim green mode can seem pretty bright...
    - Having to tap the phone with a wet finger to start timing.

I spent some time looking for the right timing device; this is what I found, and it is fine.