Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley Light

Re: Death Valley Light

100% on your PS.

Looks like we missed each other by a couple of days -- I left Death Valley the Thursday evening before you arrived. Rain a little where I was on Wednesday night/early morning, and some not-half-bad clouds on Thursday, but it got hot (90F) that day -- cooler on the days before the rains. Those of us living in temperate rain forests of the Pacific NW do like to head out in the desert occasionally to get rid of the mold that tends to grow between the toes and in the ears. It took a couple of days to get to the Eureka Valley Sand Dunes from Eureka, CA (arriving in the late afternoon). Then 5 days of photographing (and driving!) around Death Valley before heading to Yosemite, where I photographed for a full day and once on the way out. About eleven 8x10 images in DV (and two 11x14), and seven 8x10 images in Yosemite Valley (plus five 11x14) -- plus a few rolls of 120 thru the Rolleiflex before it gave up the ghost (time to send it off for repair and cleaning). Not too bad...perhaps minimal by some folks standards, but I was also in a major relaxing mode, also.

Just read the story about the yellow filter in Examples. Don't exactly agree with his use of words (a yellow filter causes over-exposure of yellow objects), but the actual concept is sound.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

2 Bit Hack

If you like Eureka and Death Valley, try Saline valley to the NW. The road in is long and last I heard rough thru the S pass. There are two hot springs there, upper and lower. Used to be that one could just camp and soak in the springs or self made Jacuzzis. All you had to do was be respectful. They are located on the eastern pediment in the middle of the valley. The road passes right by some nice dunes too. There is a trail that leads from Saline to the back side of the Eureka Dune over a pass and down something called winding staircase. I am not sure if you an drive that anymore. Regulations. But that was some 30 odd years ago. But it was a great trip at the time. There was an old mining operation with free sulfur laying on the ground somewhere near there. Very weird place. I would like to return with the knowledge I have now.

I saw lots of dirt bikes and 4wd rigs doing some sort of loop route from Eureka Valley to Saline Valley. I do not have a rig that can handle the road from either end. Saline Valley is probably a nice place, but no desire to go there.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thank you!

I had been to Death Valley twice before my latest recent trip. I suddenly fell in love with the place this time.

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I saw lots of dirt bikes and 4wd rigs doing some sort of loop route from Eureka Valley to Saline Valley. I do not have a rig that can handle the road from either end. Saline Valley is probably a nice place, but no desire to go there.
    Well that is somewhat distressing. It was my understanding that BLM had shutdown all the off road stuff. I last saw the place around Christmas of 1982.....before the intrusion of dirt bikes and 4 wheelers. I had a brand new Datsun 4x4 pickup that made the trip between Eureka and Saline with out a dent. TBH, I love Saline. Eureka with the dune is cool, DV is a wonder all its own. But I think that the most striking valley is Panamint just to the west of DV. Still, Saline is my favorite.

No vehicals allowed on the dunes. Both Saline and Eureka Valleys are now part of Death Valley National Park -- no BLM land).

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...-Roads-Map.pdf

All the excitement of late about DV is somewhat perplexing to me. I suppose it may come somewhat from a long cabin fever winter, for some snowbirds.
    When you are rained on 24/7, the thought of being in a dry place for a few days sounds great!

2 Bit Hack

I lived in Mammoth Lakes for a few years. The winters there would demand at least a few weekends during the winter escaping the snow and cold. Saline, DV, Eureka were great places to go. Saline mostly because of the hot springs. I just wish I had better photographs of my time there.

Drew Wiley

Color photography (other than conspicuous sunrise and sunset tints) is even harder because most color film respond poorly to all wonderful mineral colors and neutrals one encounters. I've never personally needed any change in procedure shooting black and white in Death Valley. Just like other high-contrast desert situations I'd pick a long-scale "straight-line" 8x10 film like Bergger 200 or now TMY400, and with care, something like ACROS in 4x5. Just carry the same filter set as anywhere else in the mtns or desert. This whole AA rumor wouldn't necessarily apply to today's films and specific filter choices today anyway... not to mention there is a great diversity of potential lighting situations in Death Valley as a general park, where you might be operating anywhere from below sea level clear up into the snow above.

Drew Wiley

Saline is a treasure in its own right, but you need to be well supplied. It's most easily accessed from the north end, where the pass can easily snow shut for a week at a time or more when Saline is itself comfortable. Always check with official ranger offices before taking any odd roads in that area. No place to get stuck. I remember soaking in one of those hot springs by moonlight once while some venison steaks were grilling on a Coleman stove on the tailgate. Dern coyote walked
    right up and pulled one right off the hot grill! Then that particular spot got hippified by some snowbirders until the park drove em out. But Saline is a big big area,
    and the adjacent Inyos are an extremely rugged range - again, no place to go hiking if you're not very well prepared and conditioned.