Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Large Format- what lens to get?

New to Large Format- what lens to get?

Hi all,

I am new to LF (and film), and just got into it about a month ago. I have a Toyo 4x5 monorail that I borrowed from a friend, which has a xenar 150mm lens. After using it for a while, I sprung for a Zone VI wooden field camera (Although, I think it's one of the older rebranded Wista's, I'm not sure...) that came with a Caltar II 210mm lens. I really like this new camera, but was thinking of getting a wider lens for it. I plan on shooting a lot this summer in Isle Royale and Alaska, and will have to pack everything with me, so weight is at least a consideration in lens choice. I was thinking of something around 90mm, but I'm really not sure, and wanted to ask for suggestions. Budget is the main consideration, I don't know that I would want to spend much more than $300 on the lens.

Thanks!

-Chris

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: New to Large Format- what lens to get?

There was a recent thread on 135 vs. 150. Read that if you haven't already. Then buy one. There are plenty of Schneider or Rodenstok f-5.6 lenses out there that will be within your price range.

KEH currently has a large assortment of LF lenses including 90mm. http://www.keh.com

They have a couple of single-coated Fujinon SW 90/8 in Seiko shutters in your price range,
    and a multi-coated version in a Copal shutter for a bit more.

The way you tell the type of coating on the Fujinon lenses is the location of the labeling on the front.
    The single-coated lenses have lettering on the front element retaining ring, while
    the multi-coated lenses have the lettering on the outside of the barrel.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I found over the years i used my 125mm (4x5) for urban/architecture/landscapes allot , the 90mm was left in the case for the 75mm mostly for interior or exterior high rise work. So over the years you will build a lens stable of 6 to 8 lenses , one thing to remember try to afford a lense that will cover 8X10 so you don't need to replace them if you decide to head into larger format, due to coverage issues on film.

so my sable has

4x5 coverage 65mm, 75mm, 90mm,

8x10 coverage 125mm, 180mm, 240mm, 355mm, 480mm

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'd suggest a 90mm, with a thought toward filling in with a 150mm some day if you feel you need it, (you may not miss it). Modern lenses are all very good, so it depends mostly on what deal you run across. Shine a light through the back side of the lens to check for haze/fungus/scratches. And check the shutter speeds as best you can, listening especially closely to the longest, (that's where the problems usually show up because the lension is lowest, and it's also the easiest to hear irregularities in the mechanism.)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Before you buy even ONE more lens please consider focal length spacing. I prefer approximately 1.5x but others will disagree. If I wanted to keep the 210mm and save money then my next wider lens would be a 135mm then 90mm then 58mm. Longer would be 300mm then 450mm.

However, since I like as many options as is practicable and if I wanted to fill a 4x5 frame I'd start with a 47mm SA XL...

47 SA XL
    72 SA XL
    110 SS XL
    150 SS XL
    210 whatever
    300 whatever
    450 whatever

But... don't listen to me. I'm just now getting back into LF after 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I'd suggest a 90mm, with a thought toward filling in with a 150mm some day if you feel you need it, (you may not miss it). Modern lenses are all very good, so it depends mostly on what deal you run across. Shine a light through the back side of the lens to check for haze/fungus/scratches. And check the shutter speeds as best you can, listening especially closely to the longest, (that's where the problems usually show up because the lension is lowest, and it's also the easiest to hear irregularities in the mechanism.)
    Thanks! I suppose I could always take the 150 I have for the Toyo, and mount it in a new lens board? Any thoughts on 90mm lenses? I saw the Fujinon and the Super Angulon, not sure which would give me decent movements but not be super heavy.

The Fujinon SW 90/8 has a 216mm image circle (IC) that will permit movements of 32mm or 37mm on 4x5.

It's rated by the manufacturer for use with 5x7 cameras, so 4x5 (163mm diagonal) is a cake walk.

The Schneider 90/5.6 SA XL has an IC of 259mm, permitting movements of 52mm/66mm, way more than your camera has.
    It's also a LOT more expensive than the Fujinon.

The Schneider 90/5.6 SA XL weighs 665 grams. The Fujinon SW 90/8 weighs 407 grams.

You can probably mount the 150mm Xenar on a Technika lensboard. It depends on the size of the shutter.
    That would be considered a 'normal' (if perhaps slightly long) lens for the 4x5 format.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The Fujinon SW 90/8 has a 216mm image circle (IC) that will permit movements of 32mm or 37mm on 4x5.

It's rated by the manufacturer for use with 5x7 cameras, so 4x5 (163mm diagonal) is a cake walk.

The Schneider 90/5.6 SA XL has an IC of 259mm, permitting movements of 52mm/66mm, way more than your camera has.
    It's also a LOT more expensive than the Fujinon.

The Schneider 90/5.6 SA XL weighs 665 grams. The Fujinon SW 90/8 weighs 407 grams.

You can probably mount the 150mm Xenar on a Technika lensboard. It depends on the size of the shutter.
    That would be considered a 'normal' (if perhaps slightly long) lens for the 4x5 format.

- Leigh
    That sounds great. Yeah, the XL sounds like more lens that I need. Is the F8 SA more comparable to the Fujinon? It seem to be priced similarly. Having a large image circle would be nice, I've run pretty far past the image circle on the 150 (taught me to check the corners after stopping down!)

lazy retired bum

I started and had only a 210 for over a year. For a new user especially in LF it's not about lots o lenses, like smaller formats. We're I you, I'd strongly consider a 90. Super wides are really hard to use on 4x5's. My second lens was a 90mm f/8 Nikkor, perhaps a bit out of your price range but a 90 is a superbly useful focal length. Good luck.