Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kodak Pan X Aerial Roll Film Available

New Kodak Pan X Aerial Roll Film Available

Folks,

I’m posting at APUG and the Large Format Photography Forum

I’ve been talking to Jim Galli, a Kodak dealer, and others about Kodak aerial Pan-X film. There are rolls of it available, and it is a desirable fine-grained film. Those of you that know it know what it is. Allegedly, the negative in Polaroid Type 55 was Pan X. The roll film base is 3.9 mil, which is thinner than typical sheet film bases. 5” and 9-1/2” rolls are available.

Here’s the link for the tech specs:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

The prices for a 5” x 500 foot roll is $767.00, which is $3.69 per square foot, and would yield 1,500 4x5 sheets at 51 cents per sheet, or 857 5x7 sheets at 89 cents per sheet.

I couldn’t as yet find a quote on the 9-1/2” rolls, but they were quoted as being 700 foot rolls. Since film is sold by the square whatever, at $3.69 per square foot the price would be $2,044. This would yield 840 8x10 sheets at $2.43 per sheet, or 1,292 sheets of 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 at $1.58 per sheet.

Now the bad news is that the Great Yellow Father, as it always has, requires a 10-roll minimum. The dealer in question is willing to pop for that minimum if there’s enough interest/commitment. Personally, I intended to buy a roll periodically and freeze it, realizing this film’s life may be limited, although it is allegedly still being produced.

So I want to gauge interest. Just for hoots and giggles, who’d be interested in a roll of what? Do keep in mind that this would be fresh film from Kodak, not auction film of unknown provenance. The film would bought from, and be shipped by the dealer, not from me.

Cheers,

Steve

Re: New Kodak Pan X Aerial Roll Film Available

Th' trouble with livin' in Tonopah is everyone knows me. If I knock off the liquor store, the owner will come over to my house, have a beer with me, then take me to jail. And my bride works inside the bank so there's no holdin' it up either. 'tis a sad state of affairs.

Jim, your bank still has money in it!!!

Maybe some Cirkut camera interest. 2k is a bit out of my league, but it could be done.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Do we know for a fact that this would fit into a 5x7 holder, or would it need to be trimmed on the 5" side?

Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    Do we know for a fact that this would fit into a 5x7 holder, or would it need to be trimmed on the 5" side?
    'tis a fact. It fits perfectly.

And I would add, a fellow over at APUG worries that this film may buckle because it is thinner than normal. What I have found with a LOT of use is that the film has a natural curl into the emulsion which holds it perfectly at the back of a holder. Perhaps better than the normal stuff.

I might be interested, but that's a pretty steep investment. I've been looking for some roll film for my 5x12 though, and this would work.

It's steep (I feel your pain) because a roll is a LOT of film. I doubt you'd find anything equivalent at a competitive price.

Cheers, Steve

True - the price per shot is good. Do we know what the speed of this film is?

Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    True - the price per shot is good. Do we know what the speed of this film is?
    I rated it 25-30, Jim Galli rates it 32. The tech specs off the link above rate it 40, but they also state that's for aerial use and not traditional earth-bound photography.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Th' trouble with livin' in Tonopah is everyone knows me. If I knock off the liquor store, the owner will come over to my house, have a beer with me, then take me to jail. And my bride works inside the bank so there's no holdin' it up either. 'tis a sad state of affairs.
    I here ya bro. The cops here just call me up and have me arrest myself and bring myself down to the station. A cruel world.