Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canyon de Chelly tours

Re: Canyon de Chelly tours

There is (or at least used to be) a trail from the rim overlooking the White House Ruin down into the canyon, which anybody with feet can take. Then you can take what you want, spend all the time you want, and return at your leisure. The elevation change at that point is about 700 feet as I recall--not that bad a climb, with a manageable camera rig.

But don't leave valuables in the car in Canyon de Chelly overlook parking areas, though at the mouth of the canyon (where the tours leave from) is the safest of the locations.

Rick "who has done both the tour and the hike at various times" Denney

Rick, I did the hike down to White House Ruins back when the Hunta Virus flared up about 20 years ago when I was shooting MF. I know what the hike is like. We would like to see some of the other areas available with a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Kearns View Post
    Rick, I did the hike down to White House Ruins back when the Hunta Virus flared up about 20 years ago when I was shooting MF. I know what the hike is like. We would like to see some of the other areas available with a guide.
    Yes, there are other areas to see. When I did the tour, though, we only stopped at the White House Ruin, and that was the only place I could photograph in any case. I suspect a private tour will be your best bet. I had a shot at a private tour once--we were friends with a couple who taught at the boarding school in Nazlini and they could have driven us into the Canyon on their own authority--but we didn't have time. Still kicking myself over that one.

Rick "have fun" Denney

My wife, son & I hired horses and a Navajo guide and did an extensive tour of Canyon de Chelley. We spent about 10 hours total in the valley and saw Whitehouse and several other places to photograph. The guide was not too accurate on the actual archaeology of the place, but she sure knew where the sites were. Several shake & bakes went blasting by while we were there and we were glad we were not on them. It was a hard ride but we were glad we did it.

Go early to the visitor center and query the various guides standing around to find the one you want to hire.
    (NOTE: White Man's Time has little meaning on the Rez. Only sun is 2 fingers above the horizon has meaning (time to bring the sheep in)). So be sure to ask a potential quide if they are able to stay in the canyon until late. Some guides will want to return to the canyon mouth early in the afternoon.

I spent 7 hours in the canyon a few weeks ago, driving my own truck. I liked the guide we hired through the Holiday Inn in Chinle. His name is Kenneth. My wife was with me, so we didn't spend a lot of time at each location like I would if I were by myself.

If you planned on making this a photography-centric trip into Canyon de Chelly, then you'd gain a lot by getting to each location at its most photogenic time. Antelope House, for instance, can either be pleasant to look at or enveloped with absolutely gorgeous soft light depending on the time you are there. When I was there on a John Sexton workshop two years ago his schedule was such that each stop was planned to get the best light at that particular time of day. He hired a guide through the Thunderbird Lodge. I don't recall the guide's name. Maybe you could email John or call the Lodge to get more info?

Mario

Does anyone have any updates from the last couple of years? I'd like to visit there in mid-March. Paul

You might want to check with the National Park Service or whomever is in charge of the Visitor Center, at one time they had a walking tour with a park guide down to the floor and got to see and photograph several of the sites. As my last visit was some 20 years ago, I have no idea as to what is presently available, but would love to find out what your experience is. L

Drew Wiley

Don't underestimate the shots you can get from across the canyon from some of the higher turnouts with a long lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Don't underestimate the shots you can get from across the canyon from some of the higher turnouts with a long lens.
    My longest lens is 360mm on 4x5, but 300 is more practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Platinum Palladium Printer
    The Cunningham Press