Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Re: Large Format 4x5 Camera Hiking Backpack Question

Thank everybody for all useful advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jianglinxi View Post
    About 45KM two days

"How far is a two day hike?"
    In New England where no path or route is straight, we regularly measure trips by time rather than distance.

The best photo backpack I have was intended for hiking, with just cloth sides, etc. It's also the most comfortable. I cut a large, thick piece of foam to fit on the inside and then did cutouts to hold my camera and lenses. It works fine, and it's relatively light-weight.

I've found that the protection provided with "photographic" backpacks comes at the cost off substantial weight. I also find photographic backpacks to be less comfortable. I use them for smaller outfits. But in my view, they have a downside.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    In New England where no path or route is straight, we regularly measure trips by time rather than distance.
    If you measure by time, it kind of depends on how fast you walk and how often you stop to take photographs. I've never seen a trail marked in time increments.

It's odd, but he's right. At least in the "Old Days", the AMC's White Mountain Guide (New Hampshire) listed the time it took to hike the trail, not how long it was. It never made any sense to me. Maybe that's one of the reasons I moved to Colorado, but I've been to plenty of places out here in the West that do the same thing. It's probably the result of Easterners moving out here. But that's OK with me because most of the hiking I have ever done out here has been off trail -- not really feasible back East -- where I depend on a compass, a topo map, and my Toko 4 x5.

4x5 rookie

I am pretty happy with my F-Stop Ajna and the XLarge Pro ICU. The Ajna is too small if you also want to take some clothing, but the camping gear can be attached on the outside easily. I think if you go for a Suhka or a Shinn you'll have a camera and hiking bag that will fit your needs.

The Xlarge pro ICU fits my Toyo 45A, 3 lenses, 6 holders, light meter, LEE filters and some other small accessories neatly.

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    If you measure by time, it kind of depends on how fast you walk and how often you stop to take photographs. I've never seen a trail marked in time increments.
    You kinda learn that if you are slower at driving/walking/etc then estimate high for the time to complete. Or if some place is 20 minutes away, then you need 20 minutes + photography time.

I recently acquired a Osprey Aether 70 to tote my 4x5 stuff for off road expeditions.
    I have no illusions of serious hikes lasting several days but I do plan to be hours away from the vehicle.
    I use a couple of Mountain Smith padded inserts for my Toyo 45A and 3 lenses. Accessories go in smaller padded pouches and my film holders are in a plastic sportsman dry box in the lower compartment of the pack. Tripod is strapped to the side of the pack.
    I have room for water, snacks, first aid kit, a little bit of extra clothing and rain gear along with a few comfort items and still keep the weight of the pack to about 35 pounds.

This video was part of the reason I made the choices I did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx8oa4I_YcE

I fit my 4x5 Nagaoka camera outfit into a SMD lightweight backpack.
    Last edited by trekkin; 10-Sep-2017 at 13:17.

Must be younger than I am! For that distance I would have a quality backpacking pack. I suggest one with more volume that one might normally need. I have an internal frame top-loader...my 4x5 camera goes in last, with a little padding, on top of the shoulderbag holding the film holders, meter, etc. I only take one lens (150mm). If I want to make an image while hiking in, everything is right there.

Once at camp, the camera goes on the tripod. The darkcloth is over the camera and I slide a waterproof stuff sack over it and the camera (protects from rain, dust, and things that might poke the bellows, except bears). Everything else in the shoulder bag. Nothing has to be set on the ground, which is nice in snow, marshy areas, etc. or if you need to move quickly because of bears or other natural causes.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China