Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Is This Achieved - Apparently Elevated Perspective

How Is This Achieved - Apparently Elevated Perspective

Over the last few years, I have been collecting photographs which were made by a local photographer during the early 1900's

One part of his composition have always struck me as been interesting and that is when people are in the scene, they always appear to be lower in the scene ( not at the camera level)

I can only think that he was stood on a large box but surely, they had enough weight to carry round without having to resort to carrying boxes.

Looking at the camera he used, I see no rise/fall as well.

I am also seeing similarities in other photographers work around that era

Any other thoughts on how he did this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cleveland Street Danum In Distance-Edit.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	155973

Name:	Wood Street-Edit.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	155972

Name:	Luke Bagshaws Camera.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	155974

Re: How Is This Achieved

Photographs from opening day of the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition in Portland, OR, show two or three photographers on very tall ladders using 8x10" cameras on very tall tripods. Your photographer wasn't up that high, but may well have been working from the back of a wagon.

Re: How Is This Achieved - Apparently Elevated Perspective

I never thought of that. i am wondering now if they used a horse and cart to transport the eqipment around with them in which case they had a platform to work from

A little front rise will do that too. In y'r third picture, the lens seems to be above the camera's optical axis. In other words, his rig has front rise built in.

You can tell the exact location of the camera lens by the converging horizontal lines. In both cases the lens seems to be at the level of the head of the people in the picture. As Dan pointed out, nice front rise trick on the camera. Camera 'position' is usually the position of the lens and framing is by position of the negative. As long as the lens does not move in 3D space, the perspective and object relationships remain unchanged in spite of all other camera movements.

Looks like he had the camera slightly pointed downwards in both images.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Here is one of the ways Darius Kinsey did it: https://www.whatcommuseum.org/v/vex3...1758438228.htm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Here is one of the ways Darius Kinsey did it: https://www.whatcommuseum.org/v/vex3...1758438228.htm.
    Nice link!

And correct method of capture.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You can tell the exact location of the camera lens by the converging horizontal lines. In both cases the lens seems to be at the level of the head of the people in the picture. As Dan pointed out, nice front rise trick on the camera. Camera 'position' is usually the position of the lens and framing is by position of the negative. As long as the lens does not move in 3D space, the perspective and object relationships remain unchanged in spite of all other camera movements.
    Exactly! The line that is parallel to the horizontal frame of the photograph is the line of the optical center and shows the height of the lens. In the first picture this is easy to see on the bricks of the left wall. In the second, there are no bricks, but the position of the parallel is pretty easy to estimate. In both cases, this parallel line is about head-high (a comfortable viewing height) and below the center of the photo, indicating that front rise was used. The verticals in the photos look pretty parallel to me as well, indicating that the camera back was plumb. No big secrets here.

Best,

Doremus

I would say just use of front rise too.

However, using a camera on a tall tripod or platform and the photographer standing on a stepladder would not be unheard of either.