Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Technika V GG

Replacing Technika V GG

Hi,

I have Linhof Technika V I picked up in part of a camera trade. The camera came without the ground glass fitted, and a new ground glass the owner had just received.

I have installed the screen, but just wanted to know how one would check the sharpness / correct distance via the four small screws and 'tabs' the GG site on that can be adjusted?

I set the camers and lens to infinity, then roughly measured the distance from inside edge of film holder with film inplace to the edge of the holder and set the GG the same distance from the inside edge of the back (if that makes sense?). It seemd the most logical way to do it at the time, but i'm not sure if that is correct.

Re: Replacing Technika V GG

Did you place the gg on the four corner silver, rectangular shims? If not your camera will need those shims which are available from a Linhof service center. But if the shims are missing then the adjusting screws under where each shim sits may ne re-adjustment, or replacement if they are also missing, That is a service center job.

A Linhof service center can also tell you the proper setting for the position of the gg shim if they are all there. Just call them and ask.

Beaar in mind, the last 45 Super Technika V was made in 1976 so the camera is more then overdue for a complete and proper CLA anyway.

thanks, a CLA is well out of my budget for the camera at present - and finding a service centre locally will be impossible and will easily cost more than replacing this camera two times over. there are three shims, one is missing - i'll have to source one internationally, from there i see i'll probably just have to adjust/shoot/develop/repeat until i get it right

Craig, there is a chap in Adelaide who may be able to help. PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by craig nye View Post
    thanks, a CLA is well out of my budget for the camera at present - and finding a service centre locally will be impossible and will easily cost more than replacing this camera two times over. there are three shims, one is missing - i'll have to source one internationally, from there i see i'll probably just have to adjust/shoot/develop/repeat until i get it right
    Missing shims will make it impossible to properly adjust the gg. Are the adjustment screws for the shims all there? Are you trying to say that you bought this camera for less then $100.00? A CLA is not expensive unless then camera has major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Missing shims will make it impossible to properly adjust the gg. Are the adjustment screws for the shims all there? Are you trying to say that you bought this camera for less then $100.00? A CLA is not expensive unless then camera has major problems.
    i live in Australia, any camera CLA will run upwards of $500.00 not including any parts that are required and that doesn't include the shipping to and from either

it would likely cost $180.00+ before the camera has even been touched! (this is from past experiences with manufacturer registered repairers).

yes, all of the 4 screws are there, everything is there bar one metal shim.

If all else is ok why not just shoot a picture of a newspaper lying on a table in open shade, note which line of type you focused on, process and loupe your film. Move the GG in, shoot another, move it out shoot another, make markers so you can distinguish your negs, in a few cycles you can nail it.

Quote Originally Posted by craig nye View Post
    i live in Australia,
    everything is there bar one metal shim.
    You have beer cans down there don't you?

Craig: have you tried Mainline in Crows Nest? I've had a couple of lenses serviced via them at a good price.

Does someone have a pict of what these shims look like or is there a pict of the rear area showing the shims online that can be pointed to? I just replaced my gg and I don't see four shims. I do see four screws and those screws hold in two sort of rails under which is some sort of silver rail or spacer...not quite sure if mine is right.

Hmmm.

--Darin