Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why.

retrogrouchy

Re: Why.

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    I've seen forums ruined, and it hasn't been because moderators close threads that are turning shitty and veering away from the focus of the forum. The forums I've seen go bad have done so because of lack of moderation and a small population of the user base becoming dominant yet petulant little pricks who can only stand to have it their way. I've been part of this forum since it was back on greenspun.com and I have no problem with the moderation here. If anything, I think it's been critical in this remaining the interesting, productive community that it has.
    This. This right here is where LFPF is going, if anything. We don't have over-moderation, we have an excess of opinionated assholes.

Okay, people. Time to tone it down.

Rick "civility and respect, please" Denney

Remember what your mother said, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. ( I just self censored everything I wrote before the last sentence. Taking my own advice.)
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

What bothers me here, and in the constantly growing number of threads on the same subject (the moderator's deleting or closing a small number of threads) is that it leaves those of us who believe we are in the "silent majority" stuck. I strongly believe that the vast majority are happy with the forum, appreciate what the moderators are doing, and would just like to get on with the photography discussions. So what are "we" supposed to do? Have everyone who believes the moderators are doing a fine job post something to drown out the relatively few who are feeling suppressed?

The moderators are not oblivious to the trends, and as mentioned before, do not want to spend the bulk of their time policing a very small number of high-maintenance members.

Members who take up too much moderator time will be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Why even have a feedback section if you're gonna consistently close and delete the feedback?

This is getting crazy. You guys...the moderators....need to chill. You are destroying this forum.
    I don't think the forum is being "destroyed" by anyone but it would be a much more enjoyable place, and more in keeping with its purpose of discussing LF photography, if people would quit complaining about the moderators.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    ....it would be a much more enjoyable place, and more in keeping with its purpose of discussing LF photography, if people would quit complaining about the moderators.
    Yes, I agree and I would go further. May I suggest that the place would be much more enjoyable for me if the discussion could be mainly about LF Photography and there were much less squabbling and just generally, much less of the subtle nastiness. It would be wonderful if people would try harder to be nice. Then, the mods would have little to do other than deal with spammers (which, is plenty).

but, OK. I get the message. I will try to keep my opinion to myself from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Yes, I agree and I would go further. May I suggest that the place would be much more enjoyable for me if the discussion could be mainly about LF Photography and there were much less squabbling and just generally, much less of the subtle nastiness. It would be wonderful if people would try harder to be nice. Then, the mods would have little to do other than deal with spammers (which, is plenty).

but, OK. I get the message. I will try to keep my opinion to myself from now on.
    Thank you for your sentiments, and I'm sure everyone agrees with your point.

There's nothing wrong with opinions, but public airings sometimes go awry. Once a point has been made, we can consider it and move on. Let's do that now.

Rick "closing the thread now" Denney