Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to travel more with my 4x5 -- searching for a tripod

Want to travel more with my 4x5 -- searching for a tripod

Hi, I'm on the lookout for the travel tripod, and I thought I'd ask for advice to avoid mistakes I've already made.

My main tripod is Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 and I'm very happy with it. The only problem is that it doesn't fit the carry-on bag.
    I'm looking for a sturdy tripod that is not longer than 47 cm (18.5 in) when folded.

Until now I've tested:

1. Benro Travel Flat (the Finger Biter), but it was a toy, not a tripod (it took virtually no space in the bag). Broke it after 2 weeks of usage.
    2. Manfrotto Befree, but it is cumbersome to set up and it is not sturdy (barely adequate for Mamiya 645).

There are tons of tripods on the market. I'm considering FLM (love the name) CP26-M4S and Sirui T-2204X, but I failed to find trusted review on the net.

I'd appreciate any tips.

JaZ

Les

Re: Want to travel more with my 4x5 -- searching for a tripod

Why not a duffle bag ? This way you can accomodate your reg tripod. Anyway, that's what I ended up doing.

Les

Because the airlines are getting greedy:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5601.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	162408

Quote Originally Posted by JaZ99 View Post
    Hi, I'm on the lookout for the travel tripod, and I thought I'd ask for advice to avoid mistakes I've already made.
    My main tripod is Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 and I'm very happy with it. The only problem is that it doesn't fit the carry-on bag.
    I'm looking for a sturdy tripod that is not longer than 47 cm (18.5 in) when folded.
    Until now I've tested:
    1. Benro Travel Flat (the Finger Biter), but it was a toy, not a tripod (it took virtually no space in the bag). Broke it after 2 weeks of usage.
    2. Manfrotto Befree, but it is cumbersome to set up and it is not sturdy (barely adequate for Mamiya 645).
    There are tons of tripods on the market. I'm considering FLM (love the name) CP26-M4S and Sirui T-2204X, but I failed to find trusted review on the net.
    I'd appreciate any tips.
    JaZ
    Hello JaZ99,
    If you need a tripod just to carry, by your self, go with the lightest possible.
    If you need a tripod to carry your camera system, in the field, go with the lightest possible.
    If the purpose is only carriage, No serious tripod(of any size), will collapse under the heaviest camera.
    But if you need a tripod that serves as a tripod(sturdy & stiff), go with the heaviest possible, or heaviest practical in case of travel. Of course, you wish to go light as possible, but you do not wish to return from your trip with lots of film that ruined by vibrations.
    A tripod that could not support itself weight in the field, will not support other elements attached to it.
    In general, I suggest not to go below the equivalent of series 2 RRS tripods. Of course, series 1 RRS(considerably shorter than your requirement) and equivalent tripods, will not collapse under your camera. But, for a really stable system, and for travel, my opinion goes with the equivalent of series 2 RRS tripods, at least.
    In this digital era, market is stuffed with feather weight tripods that made of fancy materials. Those very light tripods are just helping customers to carry their tripods(only), NOT helping photographer cameras to take sharp photos. Weight of the tripod(alone) is still necessity for physics to work as we wish, otherwise it will continue to work, BUT, in the opposite direction. What can do good with a light weight digital camera, is not necessarily doing the same with a heavy or large film camera.
    Assuming that you have a wood field 4X5 camera(not metallic, not monorail), series 2 RRS tripods and equivalents, are just enough(not more than enough). But, the shortest one is half an inch or 1.5cm longer than your requirement(TVC-24, not the long version), when folded, without head(19.1" or 48.5cm).
    Another option, you may put your present tripod diagonal in the bag, without head.
    Third option, is to look for a sturdy tripod bag, send your tripod with the luggage. You have already the equivalent size tripod(may be!!! 055CXPRO3). I do not feel well with this option, unless you chose a very rigid tripod case. That should be extra weight, but in the field you may adopt small straps to tighten your tripod to your backpack.
    Last edited by Thalmees; 11-Mar-2017 at 05:24. Reason: Adding information.

The generosity of spirit in this forum is great, its warmly appreciated.
    ------------------------------

Hi JaZ99,

You might want to check this out.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...d-on-Indiegogo

The FLM CP-Travel mentioned on Indiegogo is now in production AFAIK. Send a PM to Ari (Ari Tapiero) who is on this Forum. I have the CP-Travel, purchased for the same reason OP mentions, and it is excellent. Compact, but not super-light. I have been experimenting locally with a very stripped-down kit (Canham DLC with 150mm mounted, holders, t-shirt for a dark cloth, and a spot meter, plus the CP-Travel), and it works well; biggest issue is finding a tripod head which is light, compact, and easy to work with. I haven't really solved that one yet, I'm using an older Gitzo ballhead whose only advantage is that it was one of the four heads I already owned. I also tried a 3-way (also sitting around) which worked better but didn't pack as conveniently. But contact Ari about the CP-Travel - highly recommended.

P.S.: The image "Bridge in Great Swamp" in the Bridges sub-forum was from my FLM experiment; obviously you can't tell anything about a tripod from the picture, but for me it was part of my "proof of concept."

Thank you, Peter. It is interesting. How about seting up the tripod? On the YouTube it looks like the leg lock mechanism is step-less, is it true? If so, is it hard to set up the tripod when each leg has the same agle?

Thanks Thalmees, but the RSS is Really Steep-priced Stuff, even though TQC-14 fits the bill. I have to add 23% VAT and customs, and shipping.

Foamer

I'm considering buying this one:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1043508

Also looking at the Feisol 3442.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by JaZ99 View Post
    Thank you, Peter. It is interesting. How about seting up the tripod? On the YouTube it looks like the leg lock mechanism is step-less, is it true? If so, is it hard to set up the tripod when each leg has the same agle?
    The leg angle is not stepless, the central casting has three steps for each leg: one I would call "normal" for a tripod, one significantly wider (and therefore lower), and a final position where the leg is almost horizontal (so the tripod central casting is almost touching the ground, but you have to leave about 7 inches of center column extended, there is no other place for it to go). Of course the leg section locks are infinitely adjustable, rotate to open, and rotate in the opposite direction to lock. I have only used the tripod in the "normal" position, but if I was on the side of a super steep hill, for example, it would be easy to set one leg at either a different angle or a different length to compensate.