Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Nearly hit by bottle while shooting...!?!

Re: Nearly hit by bottle while shooting...!?!

Prior to the Brady bill, to buy a gun in the US all you needed to do was go to a store, fill out a yellow form that asks you if you are a felon and if you are mentally ill, and then they hand you a gun. Now at least there is a 3 day waiting period, which means that when you lose your head and want to kill your neighbor you have to wait 3 days to get satisfaction. But maybe,just maybe, you'll cool off over those 3 days and won't kill someone. Also if you are a criminal they have time to check you out.
    Actually, that varied greatly by state. The law in Hawaii, for instance, prior to the Brady Act was more restrictive than the Brady Act. Nor has it ever been shown that a significant percentage of gun deaths were from guns purchased within the previous 72 hours.

And that law is why during the Clinton years gun deaths dropped 28 percent. As I stated above the real problem is not the guns but the people and since we seem incapable of properly screening the people, our only solution is to better regulate the guns.
    Crime in general dropped during the 90s, as did cigarette smoking and drug addiction. Were all those the result of the Brady Act? I think it's more likely the reduction in gun deaths was linked to the drop in overall crime.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Apparently, a photographer can be seriously harmed, even killed, while doing nothing more than taking photos on the public beach in broad daylight, no guns or other arms involved. All it takes is being noticed by a sufficiently psychopathic individual.
    Indeed. Let's not forget that this topic is about being attacked with a beer bottle, not a gun...and even in a state where the use of alcohol is discouraged.

The question is why are people in many areas so likely to violence against strangers?

There have been some statistics cited for various countries, and I'd suspect that the homogeneity or heterogeneity of the different populations accounts at least part of the difference in statistical violence.

Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Chris,
    back when I was in college at Boston University, I was once walking home from a bar when someone hit me in the chest with a full beer can. The car it came from was going about 50MPH - left a hell ofa bruise and sure did hurt. I'm not sure your attack had anything to do with photography. You were probably just a convenient target.
    In the early 90s in Hawaii, there was a spate of people tossing pineapples from cars at other cars. I suspect the perpetrators thought it a prank, until one burst through a windshield and killed the occupant. It had been tossed from a head-on approaching vehicle, and likely the perpetrator didn't understand the physics involved.

Speaking of Hawaii, during the 80s, Washington DC experienced a murder every single day (two on Friday or Saturday). At the same time, the entire state of Hawaii was experiencing only 8 murders a year.

Honolulu and Washington DC are roughly the same size and have roughly the same economic distribution. Also, they are both predominantly minority (that is, non-white) and have a high level of interculturalism.

It's easier to get guns in DC, but guns are by no means rare in Honolulu.

What is, different, though, is the attitude projected by the prevailing culture (and maybe the weather counts, too).

I got a bottle thrown at me while riding my bike home from work. You gotta remember there's a great many angry people who need better hygiene and could probably use some plastic surgery. Carry a grenade to toss in bed of pick up trucks in such emergencies! Carry a little league slugger at all other times.
    Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post

It's easier to get guns in DC, but guns are by no means rare in Honolulu.

What is, different, though, is the attitude projected by the prevailing culture (and maybe the weather counts, too).
    Handguns were completely illegal in the District of Columbia beginning in the mid-70's. Yet you are correct, the Murder Rate there has been as high as 41/100k population. Across the line in the wilds of VA where there were no such laws the rate was much lower under 3/100k. In "safe" Maryland with its gun control laws the murder rate was over 7/100k population. Hmmmmmmmm.

What else are these two really angry with in their lives that motivated them to act out in this way.. These two are not happy with their lives or their current state of mind.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    So I was shooting a bit today in Ogden, UT while I'm on my spring break from school. I'm in a neighborhood, neither upscale nor ghetto. Normal neighborhood. I was shooting a panorama of an out of business gas-station-turned-pizzaria when I heard someone yell something. I got out of the darkcloth just in time to see some asshole in a big truck drive by and the passenger throw two glass beer bottles at me. Neither hit me somehow but one broke across a locking ring on my tripod. Unfortunately I didn't get his plate since it was a paper temp plate and the window was too glary to read through.

Any of you guys had stuff like this happen? I fail to see what's so offensive about photography. Perhaps he is a staunch digital shooter

Never had it happen while photographing but I've had it happen bicycling. One guy threw a beer - not an empty beer container, but a beer. He leaned out the passenger side of an approaching Jeep and lobbed it over the vehicle to my side of the road. It cam flying through the air trailing foam and completely missed. I always thought it would have been hilarious if I'd manage to grab it and yell "thanks!"

Octogenarian

Many changes to the economy since this thread was first posted six years ago.

People can no longer afford to throw away good beer.

I have never had anything remotely bad happen to me when photographing. I work primarily in urban areas, some of which do not have the best of reputations. The people I have encountered have been nothing but curious, friendly, and interested in what I was doing. No one has thrown bottles at me—on the contrary I have been invited to share their contents.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/