Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Beginners-Mind" (sho-shin)

"Beginners-Mind" (sho-shin)

Earlier today I had to give my son a ride to the gym so he could work out. I don't like the gym. My work out comes from cutting and stacking firewood. I usually wait outside and read. Today I forgot to bring a book, but I remembered seeing an old View camera magazine (Jan/Feb 2006) in the back of my pick up. I read the article called "Vision and Craft" by Ken Lee. The article inspired me then (almost the entire article is highlighted) and reminded me today , that we must clear our minds of all clutter and see the wonderful possibilities right there in front of us, waiting to be photographed.

Re: "Beginners-Mind" (sho-shin)

Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    ...We must clear our minds of all clutter and see the wonderful possibilities right there in front of us, waiting to be photographed.
    Very true, and I believe this is the key to understanding Brett Weston’s cryptic remark, “Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn’t photogenic.”

However, what Brett forgets is that sometimes, I have to hike 500 yards before my sho-shin kicks in, which means that things aren’t photogenic until after I’ve traveled at least 501 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I believe this is the key to understanding Brett Weston’s cryptic remark, “Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn’t photogenic.”
    I've adopted this as a personal motto, with a slight alteration: "Anything more than 500 yards from my front door just isn't photogenic." For me it holds true most of the time. Whether this is the result of laziness or sho-shin, I have no idea.

Jonathan

For the record, the expression comes from a book entitled Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    Earlier today I had to give my son a ride to the gym so he could work out. I don't like the gym. My work out comes from cutting and stacking firewood. I usually wait outside and read. Today I forgot to bring a book, but I remembered seeing an old View camera magazine (Jan/Feb 2006) in the back of my pick up. I read the article called "Vision and Craft" by Ken Lee. The article inspired me then (almost the entire article is highlighted) and reminded me today , that we must clear our minds of all clutter and see the wonderful possibilities right there in front of us, waiting to be photographed.
    Clearing my mind (and life) of clutter is key - to me anyway. Keep it simple, stay away from drama and negativity, and laugh everyday as much as you can...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Shutter springs open
    The pink blossom is still fresh
    Light falls through darkness
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Shutter springs open
    The pink blossom is still fresh
    Light falls through darkness
    I like this ^^ very zen
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Or you could say "get your head in the game"
    But that doesn't sound as poetic, does it.

I think it's funny how sport illustrated probably would use excerpts from an article in such a magazine but would such a magazine ever use excerpts from an article found in sports illustrated

Maybe
    maybe not ever

And while this may be a must to perform at ones peak I think of the professional athletes who perhaps have more mastery over their craft than most masters of another
    who sometimes can't get their head in the game

and you think reading a passage in a magazine is going to help you
    highlighting it
    notes in the margins

I don't think you have a shot in hell of "clearing the clutter" until you become very proficient at whatever it is you're doing
    that it is actually part of mastery

It ain't about the bike and it ain't about your frame of mind as I don't dont believe you alter it ever
    the change comes with mastery
    you don't change it hoping for mastery

I don't know what "beginners mind" is but I don't want it
    Sounds an awful lot like beginners luck and while the stupid do get lucky sometimes the master will always be dominate
    the stupid just won't understand that theyre being played with

after reading this a bit on the net -for 3 minutes on various sites
    beginners mind is for those who don't have the guts to seek mastery themselves and need to be taught/guided -by the masterly- in order to get over their personal roadblocks
    ..if they can be

I believe it always comes from within
    never from the outside

I found this
    a better site at understanding the process IMO

http://zenhabits.net/how-to-live-lif...eginners-mind/

"I love being a beginner again. I love following impossible instructions. I love failing gloriously!"
    “When did we last learn something with such determination and such little obvious success?"
    "In the Beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few.”

that's the progression

later in the site I think he stumbles

we must clear our minds of all clutter and see the wonderful possibilities right there in front of us, waiting to be photographed.

That's like pulling up a chair at a poker game and visualizing 4 aces being dealt to you
    Inspiring
    but won't learn you anything
    you have to play the game not just show up "willing"
    Learn how to win with lesser cards

You must practice
    you will fail
    you must practice
    and that practice must be what they call perfect practice
    you must practice EVERYTHING
    then you can start playing well