Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Re: Chamonix 045N-2: A Newbie's Review

Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    My experience is that the levels are consistent (precise), quick to register, and easy to read. As for accuracy...I checked all the bubble levels against my small "bullet" level and found all to be somewhat off (say half a degree one way or the other). This does not particularly surprise me given the degree of manufacturing precision that would be needed to mount the small bubble levels with greater accuracy. I would say that they work as well or better than the type commonly sold to mount on a camera's accessory shoe.

I would characterize the built-in bubble levels as being very useful and handy. If absolute accuracy for leveling is desired, a bullet level as part of your kit is probably a better solution.

Steve
    If all the levels are off slightly compared to your "bullet" level, that would raise the question of whether your bullet level is accurate or not.

Have you checked that your level is accurate? Now, I'm not complaining here. I never use a level with a camera anyway, but I have worked for years in industries where things being level is very important and having 6 different readings means that none of them can be trusted.

Testing your level is a very simple procedure. On a solid level surface just swap it end for end. It should read level both ways. If not then throw it away or adjust it.

As for accuracy...I checked all the bubble levels against my small "bullet" level and found all to be somewhat off (say half a degree one way or the other). This does not particularly surprise me given the degree of manufacturing precision that would be needed to mount the small bubble levels with greater accuracy.
    ...Steve
    I agree. Precise bubble levels are not to much good in a not so precisely manufactured camera. I can understand why an Arca Swiss has so many bubble levels but a camera of this kind doesn't need them as the manufacturing precision defeats their purpose.

Steve, Thanks for your time and effort in reviewing Chamonix's latest offering in a 4X5 rig. I wonder if you would offer some comments on the security of the lens board locking mechanism. Some found fault in the first model's ability to lock down some Linhof-type boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post
    If all the levels are off slightly compared to your "bullet" level, that would raise the question of whether your bullet level is accurate or not.

Have you checked that your level is accurate? Now, I'm not complaining here. I never use a level with a camera anyway, but I have worked for years in industries where things being level is very important and having 6 different readings means that none of them can be trusted.

Testing your level is a very simple procedure. On a solid level surface just swap it end for end. It should read level both ways. If not then throw it away or adjust it.
    My level is accurate. Thanks for the tip though.

Given the degree of controversy surrounding the bubble levels (must be very important to somebody), I decided to repeat my test, but using a little more vigor.
    1. Mounted camera on sturdy tripod (won't say which brand/model...would start another war I am sure...)
    2. Leveled the camera on all three axes using my bullet level
    3. Checked the status of all five bubble levels

And the results? Drum roll...All five bubble levels were within bounds.

I guess my copy is both true and has all five of its levels installed correctly. Is it that way on every camera that comes out of the shop? Probably not. Is it of critical importance? Maybe. As I suggested in the earlier comment, if it is a big deal to you, level the camera using a instrument that you trust. Better yet, pay the big bucks for a technical camera with laser calibrated alignment and geared movements and hire a Sherpa to carry it for you.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Steve, Thanks for your time and effort in reviewing Chamonix's latest offering in a 4X5 rig. I wonder if you would offer some comments on the security of the lens board locking mechanism. Some found fault in the first model's ability to lock down some Linhof-type boards.
    I remember reading about some user's concerns regarding both the lock mechanism and the dimensions (depth, I believe) of the mount itself. The issues with mount dimensions are supposed to have been corrected. I have only mounted the Bromwell board on my camera and they fit extremely well with no binding and no slop. As for the thumb wheel latches; the board is held securely enough, but there is no interlock device as such. The wheels present a fair amount of resistance when moved to release the board, but I supposed there is always the chance that someone could absent-mindedly turn first one wheel to the left and then the other to the right to release the board. A spring-loaded detent here might prove helpful.

Steve

I'd love to see how they fixed the focus shift problem -- is it the 16mm drilled hole solution?

Does this only fix the focus where the hole is?
    Last edited by JamesFromSydney; 15-Apr-2010 at 18:55. Reason: correction: 19mm -> 16mm

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    I agree. Precise bubble levels are not to much good in a not so precisely manufactured camera. I can understand why an Arca Swiss has so many bubble levels but a camera of this kind doesn't need them as the manufacturing precision defeats their purpose.
    The levels are handy and greatly simply setup. They are essentially accurate. I like them. They make my life easier.

As for precision manufacturing? I wish everything in my life were this well made...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JamesFromSydney View Post
    I'd love to see how they fixed the focus shift problem -- is it the 19mm drilled hole solution?

Does this only fix the focus where the hole is?
    No, they did not drill a hole as in the Shen Hao clone. I don't know how that solution is supposed to work. Sorry.

I do know how the current ground glass addresses the problem. Chamonix redesigned the ground glass holder so that the fresnel screen is between the ground glass and the user rather than between the ground glass and the lens. To protect the fresnel screen from abrasion, a second glass cover goes over the fresnel.

While this solves the focus shift problem, it creates an issue regarding the highly reflective cover glass. It makes the ground glass difficult to use without a dark cloth. It also complicates usage of the optional folding viewer. This is my only real usability issue with the camera.

Steve

Thanks Steve - Knowing this I'll likely buy one from the next batch; I was hesitant because I'm already deeply invested in Linhof-type boards from Ebony. 9 X $70 for the Chamonix boards is not = a pretty number. Cheers, Eric

While this solves the focus shift problem, it creates an issue regarding the highly reflective cover glass. It makes the ground glass difficult to use without a dark cloth. It also complicates usage of the optional folding viewer. This is my only real usability issue with the camera.

Steve
    I suspect there's no good way to fix this without blowing the cost of the camera out, given the prices for after-market glass. I have the 45N-1 and it's also the only real issue with the camera.