Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: KB Canham Comes Through - 8x10 T Max Available

Re: KB Canham Comes Through - 8x10 T Max Available

As John i also purchased what i needed when it was available.
    The last two batches, one from Badger and one from Freestyle was both emulsion # 114. I already had more than 300 sheets in stock before the announcement but felt that i had to take advantage of the lower price from the stores that had it in stock.

I hope there will be another round of group purchase in a year or two or even later as i have enough for several years now.

Drew Wiley

From barely more than a year of purchases I have three different emulsion numbers of
    8x10 in the freezer, not counting what I've got on order from Canham, and which
    predate the announcement. So Kodak must be coating TMY sheet stock fairly often.
    That's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Keith is taking order till the end of the month, although the 10% discount coupon has
    expired. By the way, a master roll for the sake of sheet film requires a different base
    than small format films, so with the exception of these special cuts, would imply the
    entire thing is dedicated to 4x5. Given the unique combination of fine grain, high speed,
    and long scale this film delivers, it would appear to be a very popular film in 4x5. It's
    becoming the new standard around here in schools who want to teach view camera
    technique, just like Super-XX was in the old days. So as long as TMY is being made in
    4x5, it will be hypothetically possible to cut other sheet sizes, if enough boxes are
    ordered. The big expense to Kodak is simply the master roll itself. The cutting and code
    anotching machines are entirely automated. Packaging is a minor issue.
    Thanks Drew. Very well stated. We all made a huge step in the process of maintaining access to Kodak sheet film that will require additional work and attention but that I do not see as anywhere near a problem as some folks that have already written its obituary. I would encourage optimism and proactivity as opposed to the doom and gloom that is conveyed by relatively few that probably could not afford it anyway. Where there is a will there is always a way.

Thanks to everyone and stay tuned. There is much more to come.....

"The big expense to Kodak is simply the master roll itself. The cutting and code
    anotching machines are entirely automated. Packaging is a minor issue."

Does this mean it might be possible to combine an order of 5x7 and 8x10, so instead of having a minimum order of 218 for 8x10 or 5x7, an order can be placed with Kodak for 109 8x10 and 109 5x7 or some combination of the two?

Quote Originally Posted by JC Kuba View Post
    Does this mean it might be possible to combine an order of 5x7 and 8x10, so instead of having a minimum order of 218 for 8x10 or 5x7, an order can be placed with Kodak for 109 8x10 and 109 5x7 or some combination of the two?
    No.

Resetting sizes and preparing alternate packaging is not a minor issue. As Robert Shanebrook documented recently in his "Making Kodak Film" book, at Kodak, only 4x5 is made on a dedicated, fully automated cutter. For other sizes a cutting machine needs to be set up specifically for each run, and for odd sizes, special packaging needs to be prepared as well.

Drew Wiley

Oren - not really much different than any other machine operation prior to the era of computerizer instant resetting (as in modern CNC programming). The machinery is automated once reset, but the fuss and overhead occurs with the manual setup for each distinct film size. That's why they have a minimum box order for each special size and can't just change the order on the fly. Most of us already know this, of course,
    but for the sake of new-comers I'm just suggesting how there's not some little bald
    headed guy working in the dark with a pair of scissors or paper cutter making the film one sheet at a time, nor the opposite, where someone merely punches a few buttons
    on a terminal to make it all happen. It could be fully automated, but that would probably never be a realistic investment for them, and more mechanical complication
    would just be one more thing to break down and require more maintenance, or require
    endless software upgrades. Easy to do in theory, however. Plenty of sheet good are
    cut that way now. You could take it to a plywood mill to do it, but I don't think most
    of us would appreciate light leaks, scratches, and sawdust all over our film!

...and what about the 50 or 25 sheet boxes?

Cheers Armin

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Oren - not really much different than any other machine operation prior to the era of computerizer instant resetting (as in modern CNC programming). The machinery is automated once reset, but the fuss and overhead occurs with the manual setup for each distinct film size. That's why they have a minimum box order for each special size and can't just change the order on the fly.
    Yup.

To JC Kuba: the minimum order size quoted by Kodak reflects the minimum dollar value they need to make a setup viable given their overhead, financial accounting practices, etc. Since each size needs a setup, it doesn't help to mix 5x7 and 8x10.

The work continues behind the scenes on a regular basis because it needs to be completed. Like you Sandy I wish that those that think alternatively would save their comments for the "Film Is Dead" posts where they are among a few friends. This is not the place for them and the post title is reflective of this opinion. Here we want photographers to know that we love quality sheet film and as evidenced by the quick turnaround on the 8x10 Special Order, many more good things are in the works.

We continue to get very positive feedback and support from people around the globe that enjoy sheet film and are happy and interested to be part of the solution.

Cheers!

I think a little common sense is in order - one should not post inflammatory film comments here just as one should not post inflammatory comments about digital on fredmiranda or getdpi.

Me, I'm placing an order for 8x10 and WP today if I get time to call.

Cheers, Steve