Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Puyo lens

Re: Puyo lens

you guys should check this French flea market webb site, le boncoin, French people will be helpful enough to ship overseas, nice deals like this:
    http://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/1...36.htm?ca=12_s

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    next time i am in paris lets go shoot. i had some great times last june when i was there.

okay. can some one post what the lens formula is? a picture of it? i think i got one! a big F#$%er for sure! lets talk. and then we can all try and figure out how to shoot with it.

based on the description i think this is the same formula. it is french for sure ( i bought it in belgium from a guy who got it in paris.....), but no maker's name.

eddie

ps. $610 is a steal. well done!
    Eddie, the formula is here. Wonder why the name and other markings are gone. $600 surprises me. That's a nice bargain. I look forward to pictures.

45-57-617

I wish to apologise if my actions led to a raised price! I guess I'm in the position of thinking / acting for the buyers best interests at this point. If / when I ever sell something I guess I'd change my mind! How weak and selfish I am.

Then again, those who bid before the 30 second mark do actually push prices up!

Best wishes to you all.

Quote Originally Posted by community1313 View Post
    That's what I mount my medium sized lens on, arca swiss view camera with a double bellow and a custom fit sinar shutter, and in this an eidoscope bought in France from an antic dealer, like new in box !
    The camera is just so practical, it's like a large format nikon!
    Ha, so I'm not the only one using Arca for these old objectives! I made a bit of a modification to be able to use Sinar shutter as it was intended. Enjoy your new lens! And a bit of correction: instead of spherical aberration this formula uses chromatic aberration of its softness. I made a replica of it, and it's hard to use indeed (and BDW Mark, it is of a telephoto design: positive lens infront and negative at the back). But when photos come out as they should, they are nice indeed.

Cheers,
    Marko

I'd like to try to answer some of the questions about this obscure lens. Thanks for posting that layout Jim. As we can see though the barrel looks a lot like a regular Darlot petzval, the lenses are quite different.

Below is catalog diagram for the Pulligny & Puyo. You can see the focus mechanism also works totally differently from a regular radial drive lens. In the Puyo & Pulligny, the spacing of the two elements is changed by the knob, as opposed to the two lenses moving together in a conventional Darlot petzval.

From THE SOFT-FOCUS LENS AND ANGLO-AMERICAN PICTORIALISM, a thesis of one of our members:
    "The lenses of Puyo and Pulligny, because the visual and chemical focus did not coincide, could be difficult to focus reliably...however as they had devised an ingenious method of making the focus correction. The instructions for use are ... a carefully calculated scale will be engraved on the mount and the position of the stop after focussing will indicate automatically the number of millimeters the lens has to be racked back." (Young, W. R. 2008, p186)

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I'd like to try to answer some of the questions about this obscure lens. Thanks for posting that layout Jim. As we can see though the barrel looks a lot like a regular Darlot petzval, the lenses are quite different.

Below is catalog diagram for the Pulligny & Puyo. You can see the focus mechanism also works totally differently from a regular radial drive lens. In the Puyo & Pulligny, the spacing of the two elements is changed by the knob, as opposed to the two lenses moving together in a conventional Darlot petzval.

From THE SOFT-FOCUS LENS AND ANGLO-AMERICAN PICTORIALISM, a thesis of one of our members:
    "The lenses of Puyo and Pulligny, because the visual and chemical focus did not coincide, could be difficult to focus reliably...however as they had devised an ingenious method of making the focus correction. The instructions for use are ... a carefully calculated scale will be engraved on the mount and the position of the stop after focussing will indicate automatically the number of millimeters the lens has to be racked back." (Young, W. R. 2008, p186)
    You're conrfusing two different possible puyo designs. The objectif de artiste is the common one and is different from the landscape puyo that you've included. On the objectif de artiste the opposing menisci are fixed just the same as a normal petzval. You focus for best visual focus with the 'scale' at 0 and then you calculate the distance to your subject and move the scale to the indicated distance. Fairly simple and I've had effective photos in spite of my joking about the difficulty. They are fun to work with if you enjoy a challenge.

magic lamp / 385mm puyo anachromatique objectif de artiste

It is confusing differentiating some of these. That's good info on the difference. So the one that just sold, labeled "Tele Anachro...d'Atelier...Puyo" that was in the original post, is fixed? And the ones labeled "... Artiste" are the same, and fixed too?

Garrett, I believe your cut out is for the L'adjustable Landscape lens.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    It is confusing differentiating some of these. That's good info on the difference. So the one that just sold, labeled "Tele Anachro...d'Atelier...Puyo" that was in the original post, is fixed? And the ones labeled "... Artiste" are the same, and fixed too?
    The ones I've seen the most, L'Objectif de Artiste are fixed and have opposing + I + elements, while the tele I think has a positive and negative that are fixed, and the landscape adjustable is like the diagram you included.

The inscription on the tele one from yesterday confused me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    They are fun to work with if you enjoy a challenge.
    ]
    hey jim ,

can you save me some film....do i focus closer (more bellows extension) to get chemical focus or the opposite. about how much for a give FL? what is your focal length and how much do you adjust it?

thanks for the help.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery