Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Kodak Master View - CAD Drawings?

8x10 Kodak Master View - CAD Drawings?

This is a longshot but any chance someone has found or made CAD drawing for the "8x10 Kodak Master View" hardware? Particularly the brass rails and guides? Mine have worn to the point there is just way too much play. Going to have some new one machined. I can get pretty close with calipers and some testing but thought I would ask first.
    Ryan Mills

Re: 8x10 Kodak Master View - CAD Drawings?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    This is a longshot but any chance someone has found or made CAD drawing for the "8x10 Kodak Master View" hardware? Particularly the brass rails and guides? Mine have worn to the point there is just way too much play. Going to have some new one machined. I can get pretty close with calipers and some testing but thought I would ask first.
    In my experience it is best to remove the parts and bring them to your machinist. He will be a lot happier with that because he can measure and he might know of currently available US spec parts still made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    In my experience it is best to remove the parts and bring them to your machinist. He will be a lot happier with that because he can measure and he might know of currently available US spec parts still made.
    I'm actually an engineer by trade, making the part is not the issue. Measuring by hand no matter who does it is hard to get really perfect. Always nice if you can find drawings but it was a long shot.
    Ryan Mills

Looking for CAD drawings of a camera that's been out of production for well over fifty years... hmmm.
    There is a Kodak service manual for these cameras. I had a copy but it went with my camera when when I sold it some years back. I'd found it online but I can't remember where... just looked at southbristolviews but all his info is for Graflexes. Can't remember if it gave dimensions for parts- mine didn't need any- but finding one of those manuals is probably your best shot.
    Another idea- contact Todd Gustavsson at the George Eastman Museum. EK sent their patent museum to GEM some years back, and the information you seek may be found there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Looking for CAD drawings of a camera that's been out of production for well over fifty years... hmmm.
    ....before CAD or personal computers were invented...................

I vaguely remembered some work at Lincoln Lab about 60 years ago. I was a programmer for the Air Force Research Labs near Lincoln Labs (because it was in the town of Lincoln just outside of Boston) in 1959 - 62 and I had visited the Lincoln Lab site once or twice. Sutherland was one of the earliest to get into what's now known as Computer Graphics. They had modeled some of the area near the TX - 2 system and they had a demo going where you could put on a headset and turn your head and the computer would make a line drawing of the room showing where you were looking. So they did have some rudimentary 3D modeling capability in that time frame.

Of course I might be off a couple of years - memory is not what it used to be.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Comp...ent_and_Future

It's a far cry from 3D visual modeling and a dimensioned CAD model, unfortunately.

Really I have to explain myself? It was so cryptic you could not figure it out? Because if someone today was to make a CAD drawing they have to use paper and ruler because its made in the 1950's? Because I said Kodak's CAD drawings right? Oh wait, I didn't... I asked if anyone had "found or made CAD drawing". I said CAD drawings because if I said drawings, line drawing, etc. I would have gotten smart ass responses . Do you think they made these cameras from cave paintings? Some numbers and sizes written on a wall? I'm sure the original plans are likely lost to time but there was a chance someone had found them and made modern files. I'm about to do it, I'm sure others have done it for other cameras since you can't just run down to kodak for spare parts. If you take a part to a machinist he is going to make a drawing or even model depending on the part and process. I'm just completely crazy for asking for such a thing! The audacity to suggest a camera from the 1950's could have modern drawings! It was not created until the 60's! Surely you can't use computer to draw old things! Next time I will just ask for plans so you slow minded guys can say original things like "plans for a camera that's been out of production for well over fifty years... hmmm." I said it was a long shot but it takes a few seconds to ask. Read the post and think it through next time dumb-asses.

With that said, Mark does have a good lead. I do know someone at GEM. I will ask him by, wait for it... modern facebook messenger... It's going to be hard to believe, but you can do that even to a Museum that's for cameras made before Facebook!
    Ryan Mills

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmills View Post
    since you can't just run down to kodak for spare parts.

It would be interesting to learn whether Kodak used some common, standard parts. I rebuilt an 8x10 Saltzman enlarger with parts from our local farm supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It would be interesting to learn whether Kodak used some common, standard parts. I rebuilt an 8x10 Saltzman enlarger with parts from our local farm supply.
    There is a fair bit that is, knobs, gears and some of the basic metal parts. In my case the focus rack/guide and the bracket that connects the rear standard to the rack is really loose. Pretty unlikely those were off the shelf. Sounds like it's been a common issue. Would love to know the original tolerances. The way it connects I feel like it must have always had some play.
    Ryan Mills