Thread: Speed Graphic Film question...

Question Speed Graphic Film question...

Hi:

No experience with Large Format but recently came into possession of a Speed Graphic camera /135mm Rodenstock (a tad dirty), complete with holders and Polaroid back.

Question: can I bring these backs some where to get loaded and then return to have processed. I'm in NYC and Williamsburg Brooklyn. I have no darkroom but would love to make some photographs with this behemoth. Everything works and the shutter speeds seem to be accurate.

Thanks in advance for any advise/suggestions.

Joe NYC

hacker extraordinaire

Re: Speed Graphic Film question...

Typically the photographer is responsible for loading and unloading the film holders. I don't know of any processing labs that will load and unload them for you, but they might do it for a fee. Typically you buy a box of sheet film, load the holders yourself in the dark, unload the exposed film sheets and store them in a light-tight-box, and when you get some accumulated you send the box away for processing, or process it yourself.

You could buy some Fuji instant film that fits your polaroid back, and shoot that easily. What holder is it?

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Typically the photographer is responsible for loading and unloading the film holders. I don't know of any processing labs that will load and unload them for you, but they might do it for a fee. Typically you buy a box of sheet film, load the holders yourself in the dark, unload the exposed film sheets and store them in a light-tight-box, and when you get some accumulated you send the box away for processing, or process it yourself.

You could buy some Fuji instant film that fits your polaroid back, and shoot that easily. What holder is it?

It is black metal and marked "Polaroid Land Film Holder # 500 for 4x5 Polaroid Land Film Packets" Serial# FH68527S.

How is the quality of Polaroid vs. traditional film needing conventional developing?

Also correction to original post: This is a Super Speed Graphic not just a Speed Graphic. I think I read the date of manufacture is 60's for SSGraphic.

Thanks Joe

No harm in asking the lab if they will unload and return your holders. My late but local lab did it for me cuz I asked them to process one sheet and advise results- a very long nite exposure. Turned out poorly, so I asked them NOT to process the others.

The Super Speed Graphic is the same as the Super Graphic except for the Rodenstock 135 lens, which has a special 1/1000 shutter.
    Treat the lens/shutter with caution. They are delicate and not easily repaired due to lack of parts and experienced repair people. You cock the shutter by rotating the lens shade (clockwise?). It's easy to break - plastic parts inside.

Some instructions for the camera and use of the shutter are here:
    http://www.mediajoy.com/en/cla_came/...ic2/index.html

www.graflex.org Look under "Graphic models"

http://www.cameraquest.com/supergrp.htm

For information on loading film and holders (and everything else) look at the LF Home page, or consult any of the basic LF photography books, plus there are probably Utube videos

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

The Polaroid 500 holder is obsolete. Polaroid film is gone. Fuji instant film fits in the Polaroid 550 holder for 4x5 or the 405 holder for 2-3/4x3-3/4. Fuji makes similar holders.

Read a little, have some fun. A Super Graphic is good introduction to LF. A limited number of things to worry about while you learn.

Thanks for all the info.

Is the Polaroid 545 film holder obsolete as well?

I did not see it mentioned, so I might as well: Changing bag. For 4x5 and smaller film I always load and unload (and spool the reels for 120 and 35mm) in a dark bag. I do this even though I have a darkroom.

For some reason, you can't watch a movie in a darkroom while you are loading film.

Anyway, the tent style changing bags are really nice, but any one will do.

The 545 is for single sheet 4x5 polaroid. That stuff is only available from leftover stock, usually at hilarious prices. It was a great system because you could change color and B&W Polaroid emulsions at will. The saddest part is the loss of the wonderful Type 55 positive/negative film.

The 545 can be used for Fuji Quickloads, but I if you don't already own one, I wouldn't advise buying one for that purpose. Get the Fuji holder.

Both Fuji sizes come as pack film. This isn't much of a limitation, unless you want to shoot color and B&W together. That would require two holders, as you can't remove the 10 sheet pack from the holder without losing sheets.

The Polaroid 550 or 405 or the Fuji versions are what you now need to shoot instant film. Both come up on ebay and elsewhere. The Fuji holders can be bought new.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewitt View Post
    The 545 can be used for Fuji Quickloads, but I if you don't already own one, I wouldn't advise buying one for that purpose. Get the Fuji holder.
    I think that quickloads are being discontinued. I can only find the E-6 films (Astia, two Provias and Velvia 100) with a quick search at B&H.

On the other hand, this would be another solution to loading film without a darkroom. Of course, you could buy a changing bag for the difference in price of one 20 sheet pack of film. (and that ignores the holder)

Supposedly, they help with dust issues.