Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do? Betrayed by Sophia...

Unhappy What to do? Betrayed by Sophia...

...Loren!
    Well, the Sophia Loren of loupes anyway---a 6x Tilting Silvestri in it's little black ditty bag which I stored on top of the 'dorff in a GI surplus cooler. The black exterior coating on the bag came off on the 'dorff and I'm having a deuce of a time getting it off the mahogany. It's like a stain. When I discovered the issue it was sticky. I used spray furniture polish (some Target branded Pledge-oid stuff and the first thing at hand) on a paper towel and got the sticky off (the camera, not the ditty bag,) but the black stains remain.
    Any suggestions short of sanding and refinishing?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: What to do? Betrayed by Sophia...

If it's penetrated through the finish and into the wood, you're screwed. Perhaps a lightly abrasive polish/wax like Mother's could clean and polish off a little bit of whatever finish coat is on there?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I say use it to your advantage. Tell other photographers that it's a prototype, or that it's a "speed" coating that actually makes the camera work faster!
    JLR

So far, I found that I can scrape quite a bit of it off with my thumb nail, which is puzzling because it doesn't look or feel like a thumb nail scrape-able gooey deposit.
    I'll keep at it and see what happens.
    And I'll toss Sophia's ditty bag.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Don't try any solvents, because they might help the stain to penetrate further into the finish.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

If it doesn't clean up put a bandaid over it so you won't have to look at it.

What you wrote about scraping it off. There is a very handy wood working hand-tool that has a straight edge you can draw across the length of a piece of wood to shave a tiny bit at a time - and make or keep it to its original shape. Google wood scrapers and choose the simple hand-held blade type. They are a joy to use, and relatively inexpensive.

Thanks for the advice! My talented thumb nail did the trick, at long last, so the 'dorff is now good to go.
    Right now I'm working on obtaining a Crown Royal ditty bag to house the Sophia Lauren of loupes

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Right now I'm working on obtaining a Crown Royal ditty bag to house the Sophia Lauren of loupes
    Oh, the sacrifices we make for Art...

Why spend money on manufactured wood scrapers when a scrap of broken window glass is sharper and works better. Wood workers have been using this for centuries.