Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USAF-1951 drum scanned?

Re: USAF-1951 drum scanned?

The way the universe works is admirable. Ask a question and wait some time. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    One can now purchase a high resolution target on film for use on drum scanners.

http://www.silverfast.com/show/resol...target/en.html

Sandy
    I'm always out of phase. The hardest thing was to inspect what was copied: those 7.6 lines are so tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    This is 5 years later !
    We are not in a hurry here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    This is a dry mount test on Heidelberg Tango.

Thanks! I see 6.5 and it gracefully fades after that. You said Scanmate 11000 too? Which one do you like better to work with?

Quote Originally Posted by SURF View Post
    We are not in a hurry here.
    It was not a complain just I was awesomed by your commitment, sometimes one wants to test something and it is not easy at one time, doing it long time later just shows how a challenge can persist through the time. This is seen in scientific works that made great leaps forward.

I agree Pere. Tango is around 4500-5500 DPI depending on the condition of the optical path. My Scanmate 11000 which is rated at 11000 DPI also is around 8000 DPI based on a similar test.
    Effective 8000 is impressive... Some people were complaining on Nikon 9000 because at around 4000 they had aliasing with grain size, perhaps at 11000 dpi (hardware) some grains can be shaped to preserve grain (or color cloud) structure of the film. I love grain structure... this is a resource (obviously) less used in LF.

Fortunately present computers are more able to work with mastodontic files, but it is important to know when it can be worth...

Anyway the drum best point is PMT single spot reading !

This is a dry mount test on Heidelberg Tango.
    Pali,
    Did you try to scan at the same max scale (3000%?) but different apertures with your Tango?
    New Color does not use apertures in a linear way.
    For instance at 1300% it uses #2, while at 3000% - #4
    SergeyT

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    Pali,
    Did you try to scan at the same max scale (3000%?) but different apertures with your Tango?
    New Color does not use apertures in a linear way.
    For instance at 1300% it uses #2, while at 3000% - #4
    SergeyT
    Hi Sergey, I just scanned it at 11000 DPI and set the Aperture to -5 which forces the smaller aperture. Also, this is was scanned in Negative mode with positive profile which tricks NewColor to turn off all USM so this is purely from the scanner. I did confirm with Karl Hudson that my scanner was resolving what is considered normal DPI from a Tango. I am happy to scan again if you think scanning it differently may improve the performance.

Pali

I also own a Tango and have owned a Scanmate 11000. I was extremely unhappy with the Scanmates dmax performance. I sent it to Danmark and they told me its fine what costed me a couple of hundred bucks. Since two years I own a Tango and I love it. Yes, the Scanmate was better in terms of resolution but in every other aspect the Tango literally blows away the Scanmate. The biggest difference is Dmax and the tonal separation of the files. Files from the Tango contain so much colour and shadow information, its like a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by sdzsdz View Post
    I also own a Tango and have owned a Scanmate 11000. I was extremely unhappy with the Scanmates dmax performance. I sent it to Danmark and they told me its fine what costed me a couple of hundred bucks. Since two years I own a Tango and I love it. Yes, the Scanmate was better in terms of resolution but in every other aspect the Tango literally blows away the Scanmate. The biggest difference is Dmax and the tonal separation of the files. Files from the Tango contain so much colour and shadow information, its like a dream.
    Sebastian, I agree that the Tango is definitely the holy grail of all scanners. Tango has the 12 BIT Log AD converters which I believe gives a little bit more information than what a 16 BIT linear file can store. Scanmate 11000 has 14 BIT linear AD converters so right off the bat, it's not going to be able to match the Tango in all circumstances and the difference really shows when you are working with slide film.

Love your work and Tango scans BTW. Definitely was a big reason in my own decision to eventually go with a Tango.

Digital camera capture of a contact copy (glass target to film):

Digital camera capture of a glass target:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mira_Copy.jpg   Mira_glass.jpg  

Thanks for sharing these SURF. Very clean captures.

Pali

Hi Pali,

I don't know how New Color (NC) reacts on changing the aperture to -5 from the "standard" one, but wonder if it would make a difference scanning that center (4-7) part of the target at Scale = 3000% and apertures set at 0, -1 and -2.
    I don't really care if the sharpening is all the way off or not, for as long as the resulting image looks good or details are resolved better.
    The NC documentation says that the sharpening is done in NC(unlike the LinoColor), but then why would they move the reduced negative mode sharpening into the Special Scanner Functions section in the NC? Is part of it stiol done in the Scanner hardware then? And if yes, does it help to resolve more details by well defining the edges? There are many questions about Tango and NC that could be answered by experimenting.

Thank you,
    SergeyT

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    Hi Pali,

I don't know how New Color (NC) reacts on changing the aperture to -5 from the "standard" one, but wonder if it would make a difference scanning that center (4-7) part of the target at Scale = 3000% and apertures set at 0, -1 and -2.
    I don't really care if the sharpening is all the way off or not, for as long as the resulting image looks good or details are resolved better.
    The NC documentation says that the sharpening is done in NC(unlike the LinoColor), but then why would they move the reduced negative mode sharpening into the Special Scanner Functions section in the NC? Is part of it stiol done in the Scanner hardware then? And if yes, does it help to resolve more details by well defining the edges? There are many questions about Tango and NC that could be answered by experimenting.

Thank you,
    SergeyT
    I tested with a whole range of apertures and resolutions and I reckon the best resolution of my system is just under 5500dpi. I compared it with my Screen Cezanne which resolved about the same but with a little less softening (but the Cezanne had a whole host of other problems). I made a few test targets on film as part of my "Big camer comparison" and came up with a 5400dpi so am happy the Tango lives around that figure.

Interestingly, I worked with an owner of an Aztek Premiere and we tested resolution vs aperture size and as the aperture got smaller, resolution got better until 10 micron and then the grain/noise started hiding detail. Supposedly the Tango/Primescan is 10 micron aperture which would make sense in my tests. The Aztek Premiere seemed to manage about 5500-6000dpi in the comparisons we made.

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com