Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about a specific subject and composition

Drew Wiley

Re: Question about a specific subject and composition

He's got a nice diagonal line, lining up the tops of all the grave stones. I'd be worried that something as radically wide as a 75 would shrink the distant stones and
    background oak tree so much that the nature of the composition would change. But anytime one switches gear, there is inevitably going to be some rethinking of
    the composition. And who knows what the sky will be like next round? The wind thing is a plague around here too. Doesn't stop me from using even very long
    lenses, but does tempt my patience sometimes.

Great, thanks. Using different B&W filters instead of grads is an important consideration I hadn't thought about - makes B&W shooting more flexible than I had previously considered. Good ideas also about experimenting with compositions with the different aspect ratio.

DaveF: Will the final print be produced with traditional techniques and materials, or will the negative be scanned and the image processed for ink-jet printing?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Sadly, digitally scanned and printed. No prospect for a darkroom or even home-processing at this point.

That is the case for me as well.

Silver Lining:
    Sonce the negs will be scanned, you have access to many of the processing techniques available for images acquired through digital capture such as High Dynamic Range and focus stacking etc>
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Front swing to get stone in focus, with decent f stop, 75 or 90mm lens on 4x5 would do this. Red/orange (or in between) filter would take care of skies. Rear rotation would help with falling horizon, rear tilt and slight swing might help with falling stones (sorry, it really bugs me) and get other corner of stone it, to help composition to be more stable.

Alternative is to make few shots of course, and merge planes.

The 75 mm lens is roughly equivalent to the 21 mm on full frame digital. When scanning negatives I use Vue Scan and use the automatic feature that allows for multiple scans that are integrated. This is an oversampling technique that reduces noise.Using this technique I can get scans on my 750M better than my Imacon 646.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rosenberg View Post
    The 75 mm lens is roughly equivalent to the 21 mm on full frame digital. When scanning negatives I use Vue Scan and use the automatic feature that allows for multiple scans that are integrated. This is an oversampling technique that reduces noise.Using this technique I can get scans on my 750M better than my Imacon 646.

Mike
    Mike, sorry to impose.. but - which one of features you talking about?

multiplex

since you are extremely adept at digital techniques
    i would take one view for the clouds and one view for the stones
    and maybe one view for the grass and blend them as you did with your digital camera
    there really is no right or wrong way to make a photograph .. do what you need or like
    and i am sure it will come out the way you like as well.

beautiful photograph by the way !
    john

It has potential for a good composition. I suggest setting the camera up 30-40 cm above the grass. There looks to be a path coming from the left and a little bit higher view point would add an intersecting line to the tops of the head stones. More view of the sea might also show up. And here's hoping for favorable weather conditions again.

Film has a good ability to hold highlight detail which can be regained in scanning. Scan twice, one for shadows, and one for highlights. Show us your final result, I'd like to see it.