Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to the format

new to the format

hey guys, I've been shooting for almost 10 years, digital and 135.
    I'm having a recent phase of GAS so I'm here to check out the classifieds sections and get help from members on my new adventure.
    I already bought a Wista 45DX and a wollensack 10" F4.5 barrel lens that I won't be able to use until I get a sinar shutter or a speed graphic.

Re: new to the format

looks like I won't have access to classifieds for 30 days... I have GAS right now !! probably won't have it anymore in 30 days.
    large format photography GAS is more dangerous than buying a firearm haha

eBay

Keh.com

B&H Photo

Freestyle photo (supplies)

Adorama

Have fun. Come back when you're out of cash!

Rich

haha awesome thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich14 View Post
    eBay

KEH.com

B&H Photo

Freestyle photo (supplies)

Adorama

Have fun. Come back when you're out of cash!

Rich
    Add to the list:

Wing's Camera in Atlanta. The last time I was in there they had some used large format gear.

Quality Camera in Atlanta. They buy out complete photography studios so can have some good used stuff.

Columbus Camera Group / Columbus, Ohio. It has been a long time since I was there but they did have LF gear.
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 4-Aug-2017 at 01:59. Reason: Polishing my prose.

Quote Originally Posted by anorphirith View Post
    I already bought a Wista 45DX and a wollensack 10" F4.5 barrel lens that I won't be able to use until I get a sinar shutter or a speed graphic.
    BOLLOCKS! Stop that darn thing down and use your dark-slide as a shutter
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

a more practical lens solution for your wista might be a budget lens in shutter, you can get a nice 150/5.6 for <200$

I have no idea about your financial situation is -- I have enough trouble with my own. And I have no idea what your interests are in photography, but I see no need to go for "buget" lenses. Your camera -- a very nice camera, I might add -- and you, deserve more. That's not to say that "budget" lenses are all bad -- far from it. And there is no need to go "ridiculous" with "brand name", "top-of-the-line" lens either. But the same is true in 35mm or digital -- as you probably know. You can buy a great, new Nikon lens for $500 or get a used, Sigma for $50 -- and get the same results out of both. When I was starting out in 35mm, Leica was selling a new 80-200mm zoom for $1,200. Minolta was selling the EXACT SAME LENS for its cameras for $400. Both lenses were made by Minolta.

Different lenses are used for different purposes. Some people end up buying lenses with TOO LITTLE to meet their needs, while others ending up buying lenses with much MORE than they need. I can't tell you how many photographers/instructors have told newbies in 4x5 to get a Schneider 210mm and a Schneider 120mm. There is nothing magical about Schneider or 120mm or 210mm. You need to figure out what kind of photography you want to do in 4x5, and THEN take a look at the PLETHORA of lenses that are available. They all have different features, pluses and minuses. Nowadays, most are used, but usually well cared for.

Check out www.subclub.org/fujinon

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You can buy a great, new Nikon lens for $500 or get a used, Sigma for $50 -- and get the same results out of both.
    And these days, Sigma is designing some of the sharpest lenses every made for 35mm!

Some people, like me, would say they were doing that in the '70's.