Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on moderation

Tim Sandstrom

Re: Feedback on moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    ... If forum moderators take a stand against all current science, medicine, and legal rulings...
    Complete hyperbole.

As a point of order, the last two threads that were locked by the moderators did not contain a "thread closed" comment. I'm used to seeing at least a short "That's enough on this topic" or "This has gone astray" type of comment when they are locked "for cause" by a moderator.

(Shrek)

Are you suggesting that people's reaction to the "neo nazi, KKK, and ISIS" comment was libelous?

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Are you suggesting that people's reaction to the "neo nazi, KKK, and ISIS comment was libelous?"
    I am not "suggesting", I am stating clearly and emphatically: the interpretations drawn and statements made in response to Ralph's post were false and defamatory.

Ouch - Jody, the remaining words of your post got chewed up by the software as I was trying to quote it in reply, for reasons that are not clear to me. You may repost the rest if you want so that the full context is clear, leave it as is, or withdraw the post entirely - whichever you prefer.

As a learner I am, I find very nice that here, when you ask for technical help, you get unique answers from very proficient people that never show up in the stupid riots, and just enjoy helping others. Yes, sometimes things go south... but we have to smile bit and take that like a funny entretainment

If a moderator closes a thread then it is well closed. If a thread goes south it has to be closed, dot.

Want to discuss on politics or on what politics is or not... ??? go Lounge, same comunity can discuss that there, please do not hijack the primary mission on this forum, that is LF crafting.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Jody, that framing of what went down yesterday, along with much of what was said in the Feedback thread, is frankly libelous.

We can't get inside people's heads, so there's no way for us to know whether people said what they said out of sloppiness or willful malice. But libel it most certainly was. We let it pass yesterday because we're all human, and we understand that in the heat of the moment people will say things that they may regret later on. We bend over backward to allow even harshly critical feedback and we try to learn from it. But baseless accusations of bigotry, arising from twisted, tendentious misreadings of what we have actually said and done, are gross violations of both common decency and the rules of this Forum, and will not be tolerated.
    And I find it grossly indecent to compare the idea of posting the life stories of transgender people to the idea of giving white supremacists and terrorists a platform. It's too bad that you won't acknowledge that your words could be (and have been!) interpreted this way - that alone is enough to demonstrate that this isn't a welcoming place for anybody with views more accepting than yours, not to mention the fact that users like taija71a are continued to behave the way they do.

edit: on any other forum I visit, taija71a would have been permanently banned the first time he sent a PM like that, so I can't agree that this is the "best managed photographic forum."

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    And I find it grossly indecent to compare the idea of posting the life stories of transgender people to the idea of giving white supremacists and terrorists a platform. It's too bad that you won't acknowledge that your words could be (and have been!) interpreted this way - that alone is enough to demonstrate that this isn't a welcoming place for anybody with views more accepting than yours, not to mention the fact that users like taija71a are continued to behave the way they do.
    IMHO... when bitter controversy arises users have to use PM to debate that in order to not disturb other people.

Failing to do that it is an unpolite behaviour aganist the rest of the comunity, and therefore the thread has to be closed without considering what it is debated or not.

Want pandemonium ? not here... go Lounge, PM or share WhatsApp contact....

PD: And I'm the first that can make such a mistake http://www.largeformatphotography.in...or-8x10/page16

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Failing to do that is an unpolite behaviour aganist the rest of the comunity, and therefore the thread has to be closed without considering what it is debated or not.
    Except that the usual practice has actually been to delete posts (and possibly to post that people should knock it off), not to close threads entirely. In the context of the moderators' other statements on the topic, including the premise that people's life stories are somehow controversial, some unconscious bias is evident to more than a few of us.

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    On the contrary: we know very well that our words and actions not only can be so interpreted but plainly have been; the responsible parties are those drawing the false interpretation. You are also confirming yet again a core reason why discussions that we call "political" are inappropriate and destructive here. Passions boil, people apply the most uncharitable and tendentious interpretations to those they perceive as adversaries in order to validate and stoke their sense of righteous indignation, and the situation spins out of control, with toxic fallout across everything else here.

Finally: you have no idea what my views are about transgender issues or anything else having to do with acceptance of outgroups in society - and you will not find out from anything I post or do here. Your presumption, and that of others in the Feedback thread, that you do is a further manifestation of and fuel for the pathological dynamic of these discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    On the contrary: we know very well that our words and actions not only can be so interpreted but plainly have been; the responsible parties are those drawing the false interpretation. You are also confirming yet again a core reason why discussions that we call "political" are inappropriate and destructive here. Passions boil, people apply the most uncharitable and tendentious interpretations to those they perceive as adversaries in order to validate and stoke their sense of righteous indignation, and the situation spins out of control, with toxic fallout across everything else here.

Finally: you have no idea what my views are about transgender issues or anything else having to do with acceptance of outgroups in society - and you will not find out from anything I post or do here. Your presumption, and that of others in the Feedback thread, that you do is a further manifestation of and fuel for the pathological dynamic of these discussions.
    I don't know what your personal views are (and it doesn't really matter), but but it is self-evident that the moderators' official collective position is that the life stories of transgender people are somehow controversial. That's not "tendentious;" that's the stated reason for disallowing richardman from posting his subjects' words.