Thread: British Expat living in Malaysia

British Expat living in Malaysia

OK guys I have gone and done it, bought my first large format camera!

I have just bought a Burke & James Orbit Monorail 4x5 camera with Revolving Back, now all I need is a lens, film holder,film......... must admit it was much easier when I bought my Olympus E-620 kit, everything needed to get started was included.

I am looking forward to getting out and about here in Malaysia to try out the camera (once I have all the other bits and pieces to complete the system). Just wondering if there are any other members out there based in Malaysia, perhaps we could meet up for a beer (actually I am after free advice and help )

Just as an aside, I dont seem to be able to access the buy and sell section. I am sure it is over 30 days since I joined?

Re: British Expat living in Malaysia

Welcome. I think I have seen a few from Malaysia. Try searching the member list under the menu heading "community". Are you in KL?

Cheers, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Welcome. I think I have seen a few from Malaysia. Try searching the member list under the menu heading "community". Are you in KL?

Cheers, Tim
    Hi there Tim,

Yes I am in KL and have been out here for 2 years now. Should point out I have had many years working this region and was so glad to get the opportunity to move out here permantly in 2010. Must admit was tempted by Thailand but the ease at which you can buy and own property here in Malaysia was the reason I chose KL.

Paul

welcome onboard.
    there are quite a few of us just next to you in Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    welcome onboard.
    there are quite a few of us just next to you in Singapore
    Thanks for that. Just wondering do you have details of any suppliers of 4x5 bits and pieces in Singapore or Malaysia. I am struggling to find suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by pfieldhouse View Post
    Thanks for that. Just wondering do you have details of any suppliers of 4x5 bits and pieces in Singapore or Malaysia. I am struggling to find suppliers.
    any specific stuff that you are looking for ?

There is very little left of 4x5 stuff left here. Sometimes old 4x5 gear will pop up in the 2nd hand camera stores once in a while in Singapore. Most of us get our film from Adorama by pooling our orders to save on shipping costs. For gears we either get it from here, ebay or keh.com.

None of the processing labs in Singapore do 4x5 E6 (slides) or C41 (negatives) processing. So we are doing our own home processing of slides and negative.

4x5 B&W processing is available in only one lab in singapore (http://www.fotohub.com/) but B&W processing is much easier to be done at home.

Hope someone can tell you more abt the scene in Malaysia. Any questions just ask.

For equipment that is not too heavy, ebay is your best bet. I have bought cameras and lenses and holders, etc from both the US and UK. For black and white film, I normally buy Shanghai on ebay, as shipping for film from the US is exorbitantly expensive, although I did hear that Freestyle is going to lower their international shipping costs.

There is a good E6 processor in Bangkok. Black and white is very easy to do at home.